missing rabbits!

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by slfisher, Dec 16, 2005.

1. slfisher

slfisher Well-Known Member

I went out this morning and half my rabbits were gone. The big hutch had had a small hole where the old waterer had been, and that was much bigger. Both small hutches had their food dishes on the ground. The males in the large hutch, and three of the five rabbits in the small hutch, were gone. No blood, no body parts, no footprints, no indication of what happened.

I did find one of the rabbits from the small hutch huddled under a board.

So I'm not sure if something got in and ate them, ate a couple of them and a couple escaped out the holes, two hutches simultaneously figured out how to escape, or what.

2. Rachel K.

Rachel K. Well-Known Member

It sounds like they may have escaped on their own...

3. CountryDreams

CountryDreams Well-Known Member

I've had a few rabbits escape before and once they have explored the area a bit, they usually hang around the cages. I hope this is the case with your bunnies. You might want to put some crocks/bottles of water down near the ground so they can have water.
    Good luck and keep us posted. I am hoping that nothing got them.

4. slfisher

Four more of them were gone yesterday morning. I haven't been out today yet.

I've seen the same dog in the vicinity both mornings so there's a trap out there now.

5. CountryDreams

CountryDreams Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry. I was hoping that your rabbits just found a way out and were enjoying their freedom for a day or so.
    Keep us posted as to what is happening.

6. markm240

markm240 Well-Known Member

I not aying do this but please read between the lines__ Buy A Gun__
    __Shoot To Kill And Bury Deep__ LOL __ Deny Everything__

7. slfisher

Oh, yes, I had a nice discussion with the sheriff about exactly what was legal and illegal to do. "No, you can't poison it, here's the law why, let me look up the law about under what conditions you can shoot it...oh, rabbits don't count as livestock, only chickens," and I'd say, well, the chickens are in the same building, so I'd have to assume it's going after the chickens as well, and she'd nod. And the second opinion I got from another sheriff was "Smoke it," so I don't think I'd have gotten into trouble on that score.

On the other hand, I didn't really want to sit outside all night in single-degree weather to try to shoot some strange animal.

The trap did indeed catch the dog. He has a collar but no tags. They'll take him to the shelter, wait seven days to see whether the owner shows up (and if he does I'll get his information and decide whether to press charges) and if not he either gets adopted or killed. He didn't seem like a vicious dog; I went out there and he had this very, excuse the expression, hangdog face. "I was a bad dog, wasn't I?" The guy said he was skinny and skittish and might have been dumped.

But he's still alive, for now, and I didn't have to wait out in the cold to do it.