Missing my rabbits!!

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by FiddleKat, Apr 19, 2005.

1. FiddleKat

FiddleKat Mother,Artist, Author Supporter

It has been a some eight years since I've had a rabbit in my life. Actually my last bunny, a Netherland Dwarf passed away last winter. I had spent fifteen years of bunny raising. Mostly Mini Lops, and then adopting others because someone no longer wanted them. My newest venture is ducks, but I long for a bunny again.
    This morning I went to the feed store and they had an adorable Holland Lop buck, albino for sale and I can't tell you how close I came to bringing him home. But the feed store said he had to stay indoors because afterall, they were selling him as a pet and didn't want him to go outside because he would be forgotten. which quite honestly was strange to me. I always kept my bunnies outside in nicely built hutches, and although they were a little more timid because I had more to deal with, I thought they did much better outside health wise.

Eventually I will get bunnies again.

Fiddle Kat

2. Xandras_Zoo

Xandras_Zoo Well-Known Member

I keep all 9 of my rabbits inside. So many rabbits are kept in tiny little hutches, and people just go out to make sure they have food and water every 3 days. What kind of a pet is that? IMO, bunnies need exercise, just like dogs, cats, horses, goats, chickens and so on. They (the rabbits bought by irresponsible people) DO get forgotten, and eventually people get bored of them because they realise there's no point in keeping it anymore because they aren't getting anything out of it. Then they go and dump it at a shelter, and it's unsocialized because no one spent time with it. So now *I* get to go spend hours and hours and hours trying to tame a rabbit that does NOT want to tame. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. If it works, there's always another dozen or so waiting for you, and if not, then you have a rabbit that no one is EVER going to want. They *DO* get forgotten and negelected, trust me. That is one feed store in a million, most are in it soley for the profit.

Indoor rabbits are usually just an impulse buy and then they're turned in to the shelter right away, at least it's before the damage has really been done. But the outside impulse rabbits are kept outside for longer (Out of sight, out of mind, right?)

As far as health goes, my rabbits are all very healthy, the vet even commented so. Don't forget that indoor rabbits aren't subjected to fleas, warbles, maggots, tics, etc. Well, not as often as outdoor rabbits. I believe that they are the same, health-wise.

Now, all that said, I am not at all against properly cared for outdoor bunnies, espeically those kept in pens. Outdoor bunnies get a lot of stimulation, like different smells on the wind, new smells and such. Rabbits, l've noticed, like to observe. As long as you let your bunnies out once in a while, and you make sure they have a friend, food, water and are pain-free, I think they are happy.

PS. Holland Lops tend to be sassy little bunnies, my 2 are a little nippy (then again, they ARE rescues). My favorite bunnies are the jersey woolies. If you're going for pet, why not get a baby from your shelter? They usually have good prices, and cute rabbits, and you'd be saving a bunny

3. Lilandra

Lilandra talk little, listen much

great advice!!
    My two cents worth -- go LARGE... how can you forget a house bunny that sleeps in the sun under a table and as soon as it hears movement in the house it charges at you and stands up to be pet... its better than a dog - litter box trained... better than a cat - they're sooooo cute and don't claw the curtains.
    Just get those wire covers like they use in offices to cover wires on the floor and the rabbits won't chew thru them. We keep flemish giants outside in large runs and they come inside every few days to play and get their nails cut... wouldn't trade them for the world