Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry about rambling in the following thread.

http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/showthread.php?t=283763

I lost my DM and DF within the last couple of years and this time of year it really starts to hurt more than usual. I must say that it is quite therapeutic though. All these memories are flooding back. One of the wierd things is seeing holiday commercials and thinking "Mom would like that" or "I got to get one of those for Dad." Then I would snap back to reality. Boy, I sure miss them!

Dan

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
I lost my father 11 years ago, and I still find myself thinking "Oh, dad would really like that", or "I wish dad could see this". It does cause those feelings to resurface, but it also keeps them close in our hearts. I guess it's my way of sharing my life with my dad, without really being aware that I'm doing it.

·
In Memorium
15,516 Posts
My Dad has been gone now for over 35 years.

During the campaigning and election, I don't know how many times I've wondered what dad would think of the political climate and the economy! He was an avid student of politics and just loved it all.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
I miss my Mom she passed away 12 yrs ago Dec 5th.. I still remember the phone call.. and my Inlaws it's all to fresh for me.

·
Premium Member
1,594 Posts
I lost my mom June 8th, if it were up to me I wouldn't celebrate this year. Mom was the one who made the holidays complete. As it stands now we have nothing Christmasy in the house yet.

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
I so understand. My parents are gone, too. The traditions around the holidays bring back so many memories. I'm trying to focus on creating new traditions for my children.

Blue

·
Broken Dreamer
2,320 Posts
My Dad was a Christmas baby. Christmas will never be the same. And Mom's been gone since I was 18. Those first holidays without are the worst.

·
Premium Member
2,981 Posts
My mom has only been gone almost 3 years and I still think of how much she loved the holidays. When I go to the library (almost every week) I think of how I used to get stacks of books for her and she would go through them in no time.
When my daughter and I watched "Frosty The Snowman" and "How The Grinch Stole Christmas" the other day I told her how mom and I used to watch those and color Christmas pictures together.
So many memories. I miss my mother most at this time of year. Her birthday was the 25th of last month and she and my dad would have been married 52 years that same day.
Don't every feel bad.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Never knew my mother so there wasn't anything to miss huh.
First Christmas without my dad and it's hard...miss him everyday.

·
Premium Member
6,431 Posts
I so understand. so I send you big ((HUGS)) I posted before about losing my most cherished brother on Christmas eve 2 years ago. wow...like daggers thru your heart. I know the holiday makes everyone miss those that have passed, but then we find a wonderful memory to tide us thru. and a little prayer helps us find the strength when it all becomes overwhelming. I will miss my brother every single day until the day I die.

·
Premium Member
16,652 Posts
Believe it or not, it will get easier. I lost my first 2 kids December 30th, 1976. My oldest had just turned 2 yrs on December 26th. Christmas is still hard for me, but I can at least see Christmas decorations without crying now. :) Actually, I really do enjoy Christmas again, but it will never be the same. There will always be that place in your heart that misses them, especially during this time of the year, because this time of the year is traditionally a time for family.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
My mom passed away a little over a week ago. I just take comfort in the fact that she didn't have to suffer for too long. She wanted us to carry on and celebrate her life instead of mourn for her, which is something I am trying to do but is isn't the easiest thing to do. I will plant an apple tree in her honor in the Spring. I think she would have liked that.

·
Registered
35 Posts
It's been 10 years since my Dad passed, just over a year since Mom has been gone. I'm 61.
I have been very sad, missing them very much lately.
This is a good thread, very positive.
We carry them with us, always in our hearts.
It's so good that we can think of them, and want to share our thoughts with them.
It's sad, but it's also very sweet to remember those so dear who are no longer with us.
Shed a few tears, and be very gratful we had them, even if for too short of a time.
Take care and hugs,
Linda In CA

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Lost mom and pop 16 days apart this summer. Miss em both. I will celebrate the holidays though, mom loved this time of the year and I figure I'd be letting her down if I didn't. Told the Mrs. I expected mom to be sitting there with me at Midnight Mass this year and smiling when the music played.

·
Premium Member
3,661 Posts
May we all find peace.

Dad would have been 78 yesterday, he died in 2003. He had diabetes, and had had several heart attacks, before a bypass surgery in 1989 gave him 14 more years- 10 of them full of quality of life. The last 4 years left him suffering, and on heavy oxygen. One night my mom took my advice, and released him by telling him it was ok when it was time to go. He died in his sleep that night.

Mom passed 2 years ago this coming February. She died 30 days after being diagnosed with non small cell lung cancer, which had spread to the 2nd lung, and her bones.

This is a rough time of year. I don't dwell on it- but it comes and goes.

Blessings to you all.

·
Registered
105 Posts
my son passed 29 years ago from SIDS, the anniversary was december 14, my father left in 1987 cause of his passing ALS i still think of and miss him daily, my mom is also gone she left in 2003 from congestive heart failure.

i remember when they were all here and how things have changed. i do have family but they live up north in minnesota. sure am feeling the loneliness.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts