Missing my Cows

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Jena, Jul 10, 2005.

1. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

On one hand, I'm glad they are gone. We have not had any rain for a long time. If I still had my cows, the grass would be gone and I'd be feeding hay by now.

On the other hand, some days it is so hard. When the sun is just going down and it's the time when I used to go make the last check before dark...I just lose it. I want to go check the cows, but they aren't there anymore.

I can still see all their faces, remember the little calves running with their little tails straight up in the air, or remember when I used to just go sit in the pasture with them and watch them graze. Those were the most fulfilling, satisfying days of my life and it's all gone.

I find myself choosing routes to drive by where I'll see less cows in other people's fields. The sound of a cow bawling off in the distance breaks my heart.

It's about time for me to start looking for a real job (two more weeks of recovery time from my surgery to actually be able to work) and I can't get motivated. The thought of flourescent lights sucking the life outta me and sitting on my butt behind a computer all day.....I just can't do it, but I have too. I hate going to a job that I hate, so I'm trying to get myself into a more positive perspective, but it's not working too well.

I just want my life back. It wasn't perfect, but at least I had cows. Sorry to whine, but this is hard.

Jena

2. Carol K

Carol K Well-Known Member

I feel for ya Jena, are you going to be working towards having cows again in your future?

Carol

3. Fran on MD Eastern Shore

Fran on MD Eastern Shore Terminally Single

Jena, I'm not sure what all is going on in your life, but we share one thing in common. I miss my cows, too. Believe me, I understand your pain. A few months ago, I foolishly decided that I wanted to sell the farm and have a "normal life". So, I put the farm on the market and found a nice HT'er that gave my cows a good home, and off went the last of my Jerseys. I never realized how much a part of my life they were. I used to go out and hang out with my girls all the time. Now when I'm driving down the road, I look longingly at anybody's cows I see. And I just got a note that told me that one of my girls just had a little bull calf. Man am I jealous! I have since decided that the "normal life" just ain't for me, and I'm staying put. I want to get some more cows, pretty much any kind of cows, but I'm having a heckuva time trying to find any for sale in this area, even at exorbitant prices. Of course, I've got my preferences for what I'd like to have, but at this point, I'd consider anything. Finding Jerseys is pretty much out of the question. It looks like I'm going to have to go a couple of hundred miles to find any decent ones to start a herd again. Unlike you, I've got grass out the wazoo. So, for the first time in years, I'm going to have to use tractor horsepower instead of cowpower to keep it under control. And like you, I want cows back to make my life right again.

Hope it all works out for you.

4. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

Jena,

((((((hugs)))))

I hope things get better.

5. Shelly

Shelly Member

Oh Jena,

I didn't keep up around here for a while. I'm sorry for whatever happened that you had to get rid of the cows. I was just thinking today that if money stays tight around here I could sell the cows - but it's a pretty depressing thing to think of.

I hope things turn around for you so that you can have some again and that you find a "real job" that is actually fun and/or rewarding.