Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
writing some wrongs
6,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ALL of my cucumbers thus far are growing misshapen, like clubs.

I know this is probably due to incomplete pollination, correct? but isn't it weird that ALL of them are doing this? Is it a deficiency, instead?

Everything else I'm growing - squash, gourds, melons, tomatoes, beans, peppers - are doing fine.

I'm growing two types -- Marketmore, and gosh, I forget the name of the other kind but it's a smaller one meant for making pickles. Both varieties are doing this.

We're eating them anyway. They taste fine, but the usable part is only about half the size it should be.

thanks!

·
Retired farmer-rancher
3,021 Posts
I've had this happen too. I think maybe it has to do with irregular watering. Not enough water for the cuke to complete its growth. JMHO

·
Master Of My Domain
7,220 Posts
ksfarmer said:
I've had this happen too. I think maybe it has to do with irregular watering. Not enough water for the cuke to complete its growth. JMHO

i am getting this with my cukes and squash (zukes mostly). i think ti is irregular watering because i am having a hard time keeping everything irrigated. it has been so dry here this summer.

·
Premium Member
8,840 Posts
Mine too. I planted a bush pickling type and the first ones on the vine are almost perfectly round and those farther away look normal. I just like round pies and square cornbread anything else don't look right. LOL :shrug:

·
Premium Member
3,891 Posts
Hopefully Linda, the QUEEN of cukes, will come on and share some of her experience. You would not believe her cucumbers, I think she has 11 200' rows! It is quite amazing! She irrigates, and maybe she can tell us how much and how often.

·
writing some wrongs
6,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Frustrating. I'd been watering every day, or every other day - it was so dry here till recently! I just got done picking another batch of cukes today, and though they weren't perfect, they were certainly better than the last.

I had suspected the problem was water, but as I said, everything else was doing okay. Well, almost -- my purple pole beans aren't so hot, KY wonders are just fine - peppers are kinda pathetic -- got a little bit of BER on the tomatoes but not widespread. The cukes are on the garden edges, maybe they're just not getting enough water when I spray.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Thanks for the title Hilltop:) We likewise have been struggling with deformed cucumbers. The hot dry weather plays havoc on the pollination . Lucky for us the damaged fruits are few and far between. We have been irrigating twice a week. We check the soil around the roots often and try not to let things dryout too much. If your plants are wilted at all, it will affect your yield. We invested in a hive of bees this spring but on very hot days the bees are too busy keeping the hive cool to polinate the cucumbers. I am not sure how many visits to a blossom it takes for complete pollination to take place but I have noticed more deformed fruit after 90+ degree days when the bees are absent, than after cooler days. Over the years I have also noticed that older vines produce more misshappen fruit. My guess is that is because there are fewer flowers to attract the bees and thus incomplete polination occurs. I just toss the bad fruit as soon as I find it, turn on the drip irrigation and lightly fertilize the plants to stimulate the production of new flowers. I have already picked 30 bushel of cucumbers from 3-150 foot rows of cucumbers in the last 10 days. I hope to pick twice that from each of the 11 rows. Keep your fingers crossed for fair weather and no early frosts.
Linda

1 - 9 of 9 Posts