Misplaced Recipe can you help?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Kenneth in NC, Feb 6, 2004.

1. Kenneth in NC

Kenneth in NC Well-Known Member

My grand mother used to make donuts as good as or better (in my opinion) than Krispy Kreme. I had her recipe but in our move I lost it. :waa:

SO does any one here have a old time favorite recipe for Donuts? I would very much like to know it.

Thanks for your help.

Kenneth in NC

2. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

Here's my favorite...makes 2 dozen

1 pkg yeast
    1/4 c. warm water
    3/4 c. lukewarm milk
    1/4 c. sugar
    1 tsp. salt
    1 egg
    1/4 c. shortening
    3 1/2 cups flour

Dissolve yeast in warm water, stir in milk, sugar, salt, egg (slightly beaten), shortening and 2 cups of the flour. Beat until smooth.
    Add rest of flour and knead 5 minutes.
    Cover and let it rise 1 1/2 hours.
    Punch down dough and let it rise another 30 minutes.
    Roll dough 3/8 " thick, cut with donut cutter.
    Let the donuts sit uncovered for 30 minutes to rise and form a crust on the outside.
    Deep fry until golden and drain.
    Frost, glaze or roll in sugar.
    To glaze, mix 1/3 c boiling water with 1 cup of powdered sugar. Glaze while warm.

These are soooo good when fresh and warm.... :)

3. E. Ely

E. Ely Active Member

Here's my recipe, from the Little House On the Prairie cookbook. These doughnuts are one of the main reasons my husband married me, and he's a big fan of Krispy Kremes! :rolleyes:

for 2 dozen doughnuts you will need:
    Lard, 2 pounds
    egg, 1
    baking soda, 1 tsp.
    salt, 1/2 tsp.
    sour cream, 1 cup
    white flour, 2 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose
    powdered sugar or cinnamon sugar, a shaker full

kettle, 3-quart; bowl, 2-quart; rolling pin; candy thermometer

Melt lard in kettle over low heat. Beat egg, baking soda, and salt into the sour cream in the bowl. Beat in 1 cup of the flour until well mixed. Continue to work in flour, 1/4 cup at a time, untiol you have a dough that can be rolled. Roll the dough in a strip about 4 by 6 by 1/4 inches. With a floured knife cut into 4-inch strips about 5/8 inch wide.

Heat the lard to 375 degrees F. Twist a strip like a corkscrew (it will stretch as you do); bring the ends together and pinch them. Drop twisted dough in hot fat. In 2 minutes the dough should be brown on both sides, crisp and cooked through. If browning takes less time, the fat is too hot; if it takes more than 3 minutes, the fat is not hot enough.

Remove cooked doughnut to brown paper to drain and coat it with powdered sugar or cinnamon-sugar mixture. Continue twisting and cooking the remaining dough strips. Serve the doughnuts immediately.

That's what the book tells you. I will say, they are much better served warm. Like most fried things, they don't taste great cold. They don't usually last long enough to find that out though. They are from the description of Mother Wilder making doughnuts in Farmer Boy. Good luck!

4. Nancy in Maine

Nancy in Maine Well-Known Member

Ken, what flavor donut were you looking for? I've never had Krispy Kremes, so I can't guess what they might be like. I have recipes for:

Lemon donuts
    Molasses donuts
    Orange donuts
    Plain donuts
    Potato donuts
    Chocolate donuts
    Squash donuts
    Jelly Donuts
    Raised donuts

Would be happy to post any or all recipes for you.

5. cowgirlone

Nancy, the Krispy Kremes are a raised donut. They are pretty tasty too!

6. Nancy in Maine

Nancy in Maine Well-Known Member

This is the recipe I use for both cinnamon rolls and raised donuts (jelly donuts too) My grandmother used to make finger rolls for sandwiches from this recipe.

Sweet Roll Dough
    (Makes 3 dozen finger rolls)

1 cup warm water
    3 Tablespoons dry yeast
    1 cup milk
    1 cup sugar
    2 teaspoons salt
    4 eggs
    1 cup soft shortening
    8 cups flour

Dissolve yeast in warm water. Add milk, sugar, salt, eggs, shortening, and half of the flour to yeast. Mix until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to handle easily. Let rise ‘til double in bulk, form into rolls.

Or, if you're making donuts, let the dough rise once, then roll out on a well floured bread board. Cut with a donut cutter, and let rise while you heat your lard to 350 degrees. Fry on both sides til golden brown, maybe a couple of minutes per side. Drain on paper towels, dip ito a simple sugar glaze and let glaze set up.

Glaze: powdered sugar, a splash of vanilla and enough milk or water to get the desired consistency.

If you want to make jelly donuts, use a 3" cookie cutter (no hole) and proceed as for raised donuts. Cool donuts and fill with your favorite jam/jelly and whoopie pie filling.

Whoopie Pie Filling:

In a sauce pan cook til very thick:
    6 rounding tablespoons flour
    1/2 cup sugar
    1-1/2 cups milk

Cool thoroughly

Add the next ingredients and whip til creammy, fluffy, and smooth:

1 cup sugar
    2 teaspoons vanilla
    3/4 cup shortening
    3/4 cup margarine

7. Wonderland

Wonderland Guest

My wife often "trys" to make donuts but they end up tasting like (a) cake or (b) some dried out bisvuit concoction. Where is she going wrong?????? She tried the top two off this thread and they bombed too.

So is there a specific Flour? Shortning? Yeast? Maybe we read the directions wrong or maybe (shes) just a bit slow. So for Ruthie will ya try again in 8th grade format. Thanks Ya'll

jeff

8. cowgirlone

Jeff, if they were cake like and thick, they might not have risen enough. Make sure her yeast is not too old.
    Can she set them in a warm place to rise, like close to a stove or in a barely warm oven?
    The yeast makes them double in size and they should be light and airy.
    Hope it works out for her! :)

I thought of something else....
    make sure you dont' prick them or poke holes in them after they rise, they will soak up hot oil when deep frying.. Good luck to you! :D

9. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

I found this copycat recipe on the web. Might be worth a try...after all, the only thing better than a Krispy Kreme doughnut is a homemade Krispy Kreme donut, right?

Krispy Kreme Doughnuts
    2 packages yeast
    1/4 cup warm water (105-115 degrees F)
    1 1/2 cups lukewarm milk (scalded then cooled)
    1/2 cup granulated sugar
    1 teaspoon salt
    2 eggs
    1/3 cup shortening
    5 cups all-purpose flour, divided
    Vegetable oil

Dissolve yeast in warm water in a 2 1/2-quart bowl.

Add milk, salt, eggs, shortening and 2 cups flour. Beat on low speed scraping bowl constantly, 30 seconds. Beat on medium speed scraping bowl occasionally, 2 minutes.

Stir in remaining flour until smooth. Cover and let rise in warm place, until double, 50 to 60 minutes. (Dough is ready when indentation remains when touched.)

Turn dough onto floured surface; roll around lightly to coat with flour. Gently roll dough 1/2-inch thick with floured rolling pin. Cut with floured doughnut cutter. Cover and let rise until double, 30 to 40 minutes.

Heat vegetable oil in deep fryer to 350 degrees F.

Slide doughnuts into hot oil with wide spatula. Turn doughnuts as they rise to the surface. Fry until golden brown, about 1 minute on each side. Remove carefully from oil (do not prick surface); drain.

Dip the doughnuts into Creamy Glaze set on rack; when slightly cooled spread Chocolate Glaze on top. Doughnuts may be dipped into sprinkles or other toppings after Chocolate Glaze is applied if desired.

Creamy Glaze
    1/3 cup butter
    2 cups confectioners' sugar
    1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    4 to 6 tablespoons hot water

Heat butter until melted. Remove from heat. Stir in confectioners' sugar and vanilla extract until smooth. Stir in water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until desired consistency.

Chocolate Glaze
    1/3 cup butter
    2 cups confectioners' sugar
    1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    4 to 6 tablespoons hot water
    4 ounces milk chocolate or semi-sweet chips

Heat butter and chocolate over low heat until chocolate is melted; remove from heat. Stir in confectioners' sugar and vanilla extract until smooth. Stir in water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until of desired consistency.

10. Jack in VA

Jack in VA Well-Known Member

The only good donut is a fresh donut...........how many can you eat at once?
    Tried the first recipe here , made 18..........used buttermilk....they were OK but not great.......will try the faux Krispy Kremes as soon as I do the math....

11. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

this one is easy..

find car keys.
    walk out door.
    get in car.
    start car.
    drive to krispy creams.
    drive thru
    order donutz
    drive home.
    get out of car
    kick away family mobbing you for your donuts.
    go in house.
    push dogs away with foot
    push cats away with other foot
    find comfy chair
    sit down
    open box
    set aside and go get coffe in kitchen
    come back
    curse at dogs and cats for eating your donuts.

find keys...
    get in car...

well maybe it aint so easy.

12. Kenneth in NC

Kenneth in NC Well-Known Member

Thanks for the recipes.

Has anyone tried the donut pan wal-mart sells? How would baking in the oven differ from deep fat frying?

Jeff my wife has made some "cake" donuts too. She then filled them with jelly and called them breakfast. :haha:

Why is it deli donuts are not quite as sweet as Krispy Kremes? I also noticed that the deli donuts vary week to week as to their lightness.

If nothing else were getting desert. :D

Keep them recipes coming. :eek: