Miscanthus invasiveness

Discussion in 'Plant and Tree Identification' started by caballoviejo, May 19, 2006.

1. caballoviejo

caballoviejo Well-Known Member

Despite what the vested parties, grantees, gov. employess, and biofuels promotors say, what do you think is the liklihood that Miscanthus giganteus will escape or at least get out of control? Yeah, I know is a sterile hybrid but some effecitvely sexually sterile bamboos are also. Any experience out there?

2. Wildcrofthollow

Wildcrofthollow Well-Known Member

I'm afraid I don't know anything about this one, other than the fact that miscanthus is a grass.

Is it being used for fuel? enlighten me if you would.

I do know that bamboo can be terribly invasive and you are right it is effectively sterile in that it only flowers, what, once every 30 years or so? I know that the same species will flower all over the world at the same time and then all of it die off. Weird survival concept but hey, its been working for a long time!

3. caballoviejo

Miscanthus x giganteus is mostly projected for use in direct burn for electricity generation. But, if it works out right, it could be used to produce ethanol from the cellulose and displace much more oil use than say, corn for that purpose which requires lots of inputs.

In Europe there was a plot of it that yeilded 60 dry tons per acre (extrapolated).

Anyway, you can read on the internet and hear from people that it grows fast but spread slow. New rhizomes were up to 4 inches, however - not particularly slow. I read how it was a bad weed in sugarcane(?) in Hawaii.

Anyhow, I got several hundred feet planted today. If mowing halts its spread and it doesn't enter under canopy then its probably O.K. But if it shows bad signs then I'm going to roundup it to death.

4. Wildcrofthollow

How do you plan to use it? Are you set up to extract cellulose? Can you make it into ethanol? Or is this an experiment on your part, trying to find out how bad a "weed" Miscanthus x giganteus might be?

Also, if you are amenable, I would like to set up a thread where we might continue our discussion of environmentalism and ecology. I do have several more things I'd like to say about it, but am loathe to continue to hijack Bitsey-bet's thread. Or we can drop it if you would like. Or you can set up said thread, whichever is your preference.

5. caballoviejo

I'm involved in some diverse experiments that require biomass and I've been been asked to grow some to measure how it establishes in this area, and to see how we can best manipulate the material for ultimate fuel/energy production. I am not set up to extract cellulose but all cellulose can be made into alcohol - it becomes a question of the effieciency of conversion for any patricular plant biomass and the economics of different treatments of the material and conversion methods. I'm not trying to find out how bad a weed it might be, but how I should (have) considered site selection in order to control it, if there were an inkling that it might get out of hand. Plopped out in the middle of a large field would be best but then there are other land use considerations.

I'd like an environmentalism/ecology thread to discuss things. Start one off with some of the things you'd like to say. My opinions are not sacrosanct and are better honed if either challenged or supported from differering viewpoints.

6. Wildcrofthollow