Miracle tree?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by moopups, Mar 5, 2005.

1. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Just today I was exposed to 'moringa oleifera' for the first time, it appears to be a heavily touted cure for many of the third worlds problems. Edible, heavy in medical values, fast growing, a miracle plant to many. Looked it up on google and found about 16,000 hits about it, grows 4 yards per year, drought resistant, hardy, and can be fed to livestock. Found seeds at www.hopeseeds.org at a local vendor, which appears to be church affiated near here.

2. goodlifefarmer

goodlifefarmer Member

Sounds like a kudzu sort of thing that is also edible for man and beast. I would like to know more.

3. Grandmotherbear

Grandmotherbear Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes, but how does it taste?? You should also check out Malabar Spinach, it grows very well in our area. I bought my seeds from Evergreen Seeds website.

4. WillowWisp

WillowWisp Well-Known Member

always like to look up info on naturally occuring healthy produce. Just the other day I was reading up on the Russian Olive tree (not for health benefits) but found out the fruit it grows is edible but in a lot of states it is now considered a weed.

God bless
    WillowWisp

5. reese

reese Well-Known Member

6. JoyKelley

JoyKelley Well-Known Member

I live a few miles from ECHO here in Fort Myers Florida and this morning the director of Echo spoke at church about the moringa tree. I am going to plant some this week. I am only interested right now in animal fodder but I was thinking that homesteaders could really benefit from this tree. I will grow them and will report back to you all if your interested in knowing more.

7. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

Hardy to zone 10 or about 30 degrees F. Have a greenhouse if colder than zone 10.

Looks interesting though and seeds at Moopups source much cheaper than EBAY.

8. Neville Aponte

Neville Aponte Active Member

I wonder if you could grow it as an annual north of zone 10? Would you get any beans?