Miracle Day Today .... boy am I tired!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by midkiffsjoy, Jan 16, 2007.

1. midkiffsjoy

midkiffsjoy Bedias, Texas

Living this far south, we dont really have to worry about the cold all that much. Just the wet stuff. This morning DH went out to feed, came back and told me that everyone had made it through the night fine (even though it had froze. We've had a couple of freezes and had no problems). Well, took DH to work, ran errands, weather got worse, sleet coming down. Got home and I looked across the feild to the doe pens and I see what looks like Olympia standing in the sleet with her head stuck in a hay bale. She doesnt have horns so no way shes stuck in the hay ring....but somethings not right so I head out to check. I go in the pen and shes fine, but has stuck her head in the hay to warm up because Dusty (the big Purebred registered French Alpine I got for my birthday) who's bigger than everyone else has pushed everyone out of the shelter (btw...WTT: One really big purebred registered french alpine for one purebred registered Lamancha OR a working spinning wheel). Thats when I noticed that Annie was laying on the ground, trying to hollor. I figured maybe she got her legs tangled in something so I go over to untangle her......but her legs arent tangled in anything....she cant get up. At this point I decide that apparently the weather is too bad for their shelter (okay....not really...I panicked and went running back towards the house, screaming to my mom and gasping huge amounts of icy air into my lungs....yeah....Im sick now) stuck my head into the house, screamed that we were loosing goats and ran back outside. I had the trailer hitched by the time she got outside and we loaded all of the does into the trailer (laid Annie into the back of the heated blazer) and took them all up to mom's house and locked them into the barn (I NEED a barn). Annie (who weighs WAY more than I should be able to carry) I carried up icy concrete steps, into the house and in front of a wall heater. After laying there for 8 hours I am happy to report that she was finally able to stand up and promptly peed and pooped all over my mothers house, with only my sister there to clean it up!!!! grin. Where was I??? I made 3 trips to town today, buying square bales (easier to carry into the barn than the round bales) and wood chips.

Because no one is doing business because they are staying in doors DH has tomorrow off (like we arent gonna need the extra hours with the heating bill were running up) and we plan on finishing the buck shelter thats covered in ice in the driveway. If I had only had 3 more days before this crud hit. Theyre okay for now, but they really need that new shelter. Everyone keep their fingers crossed for us!!!! (I wish I could find my dad's knitted face mask!!!! Tomorrow is gonna suck!!!)

I'm just SO glad I had errands to run this morning or I wouldnt have taken DH to work and probably wouldnt have noticed Annie down. I'm just so thankful that I did!!!

Man I hate sleet.

2. diamonds

diamonds Well-Known Member

Wow..That was a day. My heart went out to you as I read your post. I am glad everything came out alright.

3. Hip_Shot_Hanna

Hip_Shot_Hanna Well-Known Member

Oh my goodness! I'm so glad everything turned out ok! It's all frozen and slick out our way, and though I the barn we have is no great shakes (it was cobbled together before we moved here) it's better than nothing.

We also have two goat shelters/huts that seem to be very effective.

So glad you checked on the goats though!

4. midkiffsjoy

midkiffsjoy Bedias, Texas

I dont know who kept their fingers crossed for us today but THANKS!!! It was pouring when we got up, and we ate a hot breakfast and then gave up and went out. EVERYTIME we took a break it started pouring freezing rain and when we'd go out to work, the rain would stop!!! giggle. We got the buck shelter done but then the roof tin was ONE INCH too wide to make it through the gate, so I tried to open it wider and the gate CAME OFF. giggle. SO we turned the shelter so it blocks the gate opening and they can get into it and not get out of the pen. We'll fix it better tomorrow, but it was dark and cold. grin. BUT now they have better shelter!!!! AWESOME!!!

And to top it off Ive learned how to cut rigid roof tin with a circular saw!!!! Yeaaaaaaa.

I cant wait until this cold snap thingy passes.