Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone could refer me to a good resource for mint. I would like to start several types of mint, especially chocolate mint, which I love. Thank you.
Lockie

·
www.BilriteFarms.com
345 Posts
I've had to collect my mints from various sources since I haven't been able to find one that had all the ones I want (LOL but I want a lot of mints).

Do you happen to have any plants to trade?
I have chocolate mint and would send you some as a trade.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Trisha-MN said:
I've had to collect my mints from various sources since I haven't been able to find one that had all the ones I want (LOL but I want a lot of mints).

Do you happen to have any plants to trade?
I have chocolate mint and would send you some as a trade.
I wish I had something to trade. I really don't have anything that I reckon that you'd want to trade for. I just have the regular stuff like tomatoes, squash, etc. The only other herb that I have is rosemary, but they are big shrubs. I could try to root you some if you'd like. Other than that, I don't. :(

Thank you very much for the offer.
Lockie

·
Registered
21 Posts
you might make a visit to the forums at www.gardenweb.com

They have a general seed swapping forum where many people post excess seeds. Many are looking to trade for something they don't have, but some offer seeds and all they ask in return is for postage costs to cover sending them to you. There is also a seperate herb forum, not sure if they have an exchanges area specific to that forum or not...

·
www.BilriteFarms.com
345 Posts
LOL Big shrubs of rosemary! You must be in a warmer zone than we are :) I wish I could get big shubs of it.

PM me your address and I'll send you a start of chocolate mint.

·
Registered
329 Posts
det28 said:
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone could refer me to a good resource for mint. I would like to start several types of mint, especially chocolate mint, which I love. Thank you.
Lockie

Igot alot of my mints from walmart!...the seed packets on the rack in garden center...cost 4/$1.00...can also get them end of season fer 10/$1.00 place in cool dry spot and use next year unless ya growing them indoors then can plant any time....good luck...dale anne

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I certainly appreciate the input. I took a look at the Mountain Valley Growers website and was really impressed. They even have some on special, so I think I may try them soon.
Any tips from all you experts on growing mint?

Again, thanks a bunch.

Lockie

·
Registered
32 Posts
det28 said:
I certainly appreciate the input. I took a look at the Mountain Valley Growers website and was really impressed. They even have some on special, so I think I may try them soon.

Again, thanks a bunch.

Lockie
I have some mint, can't tell you what kind as I don't know. I brought with me when I moved here. But if you will email and address to send it too I will gladly UPS you a heafty amount. I just brought a shovel full back with me and planted it and it grows like crazy. [email protected]

·
Registered
429 Posts
det28 said:

Again, thanks a bunch.

Lockie
Hahaha! You don't need growing tips because in a year you will be back here asking how to get rid of all the darn mint!! Mint will take over unless you corral it in either a container or lawn edging. Even then, you need to watch the roots coming out of the container bottom and rooting in the ground underneath. You can rototiller the stuff and it will grow back! Don't worry about killing it, you won't be able to.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I appreciate all the input. I'm excited about the mint because in this climate, I love to grow things that are tough and it sounds as if mint may be. Maybe I could just plant my yard in mint and forget the grass (or lack of). :D

Lockie

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Silver,
Thank you so very much! It arrived and I had no idea that you were sending so much. You are such an angel!
I've got it planted and am hoping that it can survive our desert conditions with enough water.
Thank you again.
Lockie

·
Registered
32 Posts
det28 said:
Silver,
Thank you so very much! It arrived and I had no idea that you were sending so much. You are such an angel!
I've got it planted and am hoping that it can survive our desert conditions with enough water.
Thank you again.
Lockie
If, it dies, I doubt it will, but if it does. I have plenty more of it as it just keeps on growing, kinda like the pink bunny. LOL

1 - 13 of 13 Posts