Minnesota Livestock Auctions

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Haggis, May 1, 2005.

1. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

We don't have a livestock close to Virginia, Minnesota. Do any of you gentlefolk know how to find the location and sale dates for Minnesota livestock auctions?

We're needing to buy a few weaning age pigs and are having no luck in finding a breeder, or an auction.

Back in Kentucky, where I was raised, nearly every county had a livestock auction at some point during the month. Up here in the "forested area" of Minnesota I've not even heard of one.

Some say there are auctions to the west and further south, but folks don't seem to know exactly where or when.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. NWSneaky

NWSneaky Well-Known Member

Call or email after a search a county extension agent.

3. Ken in Minn

Ken in Minn Well-Known Member

Hello Haggis
    The trouble you are going to run into is:: the hog raising has pertty much went commercial. There is not that many hogs raised on farms in the low numbers that we know.
    What is the price of a weener pig now? What are you willing to pay? I do know of a man not far from me that does raise a few. I could ask him. He normally has about 20 sows. Hope this helps.

Ken in Minn

4. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

Thanks again folks. I made some phone calls and found lots of pigs, and at great prices for good pigs.