Minnesota Cattlefolk Question

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Haggis, May 25, 2005.

1. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

I'm having a bull brought in from out of state; do I need anything more than his signed health certificate from their vet?

The folks delivering him need to know, and I don't need anymore problems once he is here.

Thanks a heap.

2. Momof8kiddoes

Momof8kiddoes Well-Known Member

Haggis,
    I dont know about your state, but if you call the ag dept, they can direct you to who you need to talk to. Also, the vet doing the exam usually will call the state in which the animal is going to, to find out exactly what HE needs to do to get the cow into another state legally. Good luck with it all,
    Mary F.

3. Ken in Minn

Ken in Minn Well-Known Member

Hi Haggis
    You have sure had your share and a lot more of cattle problems. Hope your new bull works out. What breed of bull did you get?
    When I brought the Dexters in from Neb. I had no problems at all with bring them into the state. Where do they inspect for new cattle comming into the state from other states? I have never been checked. Have not hauled a lot of cattle though, but have hauled horses in the past. And never stopped or inspected.
    Good luck again with your cattle.

Ken in Minn

4. SmokedCow

SmokedCow Well-Known Member

Hey Haggis...We went up to to MN this past fall to buy some calves for 4-H, we did get health papers just incase. it never hurts.
    AJ

5. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

This bull is coming in from The George Washington historical site at Mt. Vernon, Virginia. They worry about all of the legalities, and I probably should worry more. They keep a small herd of Milking Devons there as part of Mt. Vernon's livng history, and this bull was bred out of an old Mt. Vernon Milking Devon cow, Maggie of Turkey Run, and from Colonial Williamsburg's Quincey. I feel pretty sure this young bull has had great health care and won't be bringing any more problems to our croft.

The 3 Millking Devon heifers, 1 Jersey heifer, and 2 Jersey cows I have here are healthy and clean, and to keep it that way I either had to AI breed them or find a clean bull. With all of the problems folks mentioned about AI beeding, I opted for a young clean herd bull. This is a yearling and has not been used.

6. SmokedCow

SmokedCow Well-Known Member

Really? I saw that bull i think when I was out there in July...if it was the same one. A wonderful looking breed!! Best of luck! If they are comming over that many states, yeah i woudl get one just in case.
    AJ