Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,383 Posts
A lot of available details are contained in a thread in General Chat.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I used to cross the river there in the "olden days" ..That is the major avenue to St.Paul & the University of Minn...Pretty scarey situation esp. the school bus & semi truck involved.. GrannieD

·
Registered
197 Posts
Oldest DS lives nine blocks from the bridge. He called us just after the collapse to tell us he was ok and was on his way to help where he could. He normally drives over the bridge to and from work every day but has been avoiding it lately because of the resurfacing work. He said he would update us when he could but we have yet to hear back from him.

·
Premium Member
4,293 Posts
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20079534/?GT1=10252

I was at church and people came up to me asking where my dh was. Dh is a truck driver ( kids had vacation bible school) I said in minnasota twin cities area. And they tell me the bridge collapsed. It took forever to get ahold of dh. My heart was cement. I finally get a call from dh. First words are IM fine. OH PRAISE GOD!!!!!!! Dh just went over the bridge less than an hour previous. He said they were working on it and had each side down to one lane.

Pray for the people who are hurt and families whom have lost loved ones. Im still a little shooken up. I cant get back ahold of dh. Cell lines are busy. Everyone is gone so I have no one to ramble to. I still feel sick. I feel so bad for the people who have lost loved ones and who are hurt.

·
Site Admin's Boss
481 Posts
I drove over that bridge about a month and a half ago while I was visiting my folks. I just never think about these kinds of things happening. So sad.

·
Black Cat Farm
1,357 Posts
I'm from MN. This is awful, just awful...

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
ohh, how very sad :( WIHH thats sad what you said about the father diving in looking for his daughter, I can't imagine the fear that was going on his head..

myheaven glad your DH is ok.. whew i would of been sitting on pins and needles waiting for the call.

·
Premium Member
5,937 Posts
My geography of the US isn't too hot but southerngardngal is in Philadelphia Mississippi. I don't know if that is close or not.

hoggie

·
Failure is not an option.
2,623 Posts
Hey.

I drive over that bridge about once a week. There was a great nighttime view from it with the buildings lit up looking up the river. The bridge is a main artery and travel will be a total mess. They were working on the bridge...

RF

·
Driftin' Away
745 Posts
As the bridge collapsed, my boyfriend and I were heading to a dinner cruise on the Mississippi.

Due to the construction, we had decided not to take I 35 to his house, but instead go through downtown on side roads. That decision probably saved our lives. This was a bridge we traveled all the time. To church, to dinner, or to whatever took us to the north side. It had a spectacular view over the mississippi of downtown, and at night, it would take your breath away with the lights and the skyline reflecting over the water.

It was a horrible sight indeed to see all the ambulances, the rescue crews, and boat captains going down river. Witnesses told us that there are so many cars in the water covered with debris it's unthinkable. I pray that those poor people passed away quickly and didn't suffer.

In 2000, while working on a political campaign, I was told by a lead political committee person that due to a tax refund by a former governor, our bridges were crumbling. Since that time, no funding has been done to correct the problem. It's absolutely sickening.

Sitting there last night, knowing that a mile away they were pulling people from the water while I sat there safe and warm holding the hand of someone I loved, is something I will never forget.

·
Wyn~D Farm
971 Posts
My parents live near there and said they felt a "rumble" and saw white smoke in two spots BEFORE the bridge collapsed ..... Makes one think .....

Also , a very dear friend was about to switch spots with her hubby who was staying with their infant son at the University who just recieved a stem cell transplant two days ago , when she decided to stop at a store and shop , she would have been on the bridge when it collapsed had she not stopped ! Thank God !

1 - 20 of 29 Posts