minis?

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Firethorn, Jan 7, 2005.

1. Firethorn

Firethorn Well-Known Member

Ilove sheep!!!! I love muttin!!!!!!!! The problem. The ones im interested in are small. Black welsh mountain, southdown, and the navajo churro. I have heard many negative things about mini sheep (animals) and I wont pay 800$ for "a" sheep. What is your take?

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I guess some mini animals have some genetic problems, I don't think that really applies to sheep. More likely for the giants to have trouble. Good stock is always cheap or perhaps it would be better to say cheap stock is almost always too expensive. The trick is to get great animals as affordably as you can. Buy the best you can afford and have a plan to get them bred, by new genetics easily. Unless you have lots of money and traveling for a ram is easy or AI breeding workable for you. I know there ae lots of really nice sheep breeds, my wife wants Wensleydales. I luv em too but new blood would be very hard for me to get so I'm hoping she'll like the Lincolns when I can get her to see them. It might be better all round to compromise from the ideal and pick something more workable. If there were two breeders within 4 hours drive I'd say go for the breed you like and hang the cost, you only buy them once. $800 might sound expensive, but its cheap for some breeds too.

3. bergere

bergere Just living Life

Some problems with the small sheep..many people selling the toys, inbred them to make them very small. The more you inbreed a sheep the smaller it will get, the less hardy, less fertile, you will see parrot mouths and the like. You will however get ever softer fleece.

I know some one that is selling two Registered Brecknock Hill ewe lambs out of my prize winning ewe for fleece for meat!! I am hopping mad.
    They are located in Kitsap County WA, and if you are interested I am sure you can get them for little money.
    Her email is, Sheriemcm@aol.com

Jacobs are not big, they do have horns, and I do not like the temperament of most of the Rams.
    http://jacob.sheepregistry.com/
    Southdowns have the same problems as the Jacob Rams. Ewes are sweet for the most part, Rams are not.
    Am just really picky.
    http://www.babydollsheep.org/
    There is another Registery for this sheep, however I do not like it for very good reasons. PM me if you want to know.

The Black Welsh Mountain are nice, but get the ones out of the UK Semen.
    If they do not have UK blood they are also very inbred, and there was some issues with the old Registry. The new Registry that Oogie runs is a good one to work with.
    http://www.blackwelsh.org/

Shetlands you can find nice Rams, same with the Brecknock Hill Cheviots. Both of these breeds can be gentled and are sweet sheep.
    http://www.shetland-sheep.org/
    There are some problems with the Brecknock Hill Cheviot Registry, Nothing on line. The owner will get your Certificates out, but that is it.

Any sheep not handled can be wild.

So it just depends what you want.

4. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

Breeding to create toys out of medium sized breeds is wrought with danger. There is often a reason for an animal to be undersized, such as poor kidneys, thyroid, etc. The primative breeds are naturally small, usually becoming larger than their British counterparts in the U.S. because of breeding and better pasture. If it is normal for a certain breed of sheep to weight 40 to 60 pounds, than you are safe buying a sheep that is in that weight range.

I have three Black Welsh Mountain ewes, bred from the original flock. They are good, healthy animals with good mouths, straight backs, good legs, etc. I am very disappointed in the fleece. It is coal black and dense, as it should be, but very coarse and one of the ewes has a great deal of kemp. I would only breed them to a U.K. ram. I thought I was getting a ram from someone out of state, but that fell through. The closest BWM ram (four hour drive) would be a close relative. This presents a problem. This year they were bred to my small Rambouleit (sp) x Corriedale ram. I was worried about lamb size, but two of the ewes had single births last spring and had lambs as large as the Ramboulety X Corriedale ewe's twins, so I think they will do alright. My point is, unless you are prepared to AI, or cross breed with another little breed, be sure to have access to a ram.

As to the price, ask Oogie what the going rate is. If you are buying top sheep, then you are breeding and selling top sheep and you too can ask a higher price.