Miniature Jerseys

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Unregistered-1427815803, Dec 17, 2003.

1. Hello!
    I am 13 years old and afriend and I are interested in Miniature Jerseys. Does any body know about them? We would like a have a few heifers for milk and to sell there calfs. Please give me info if you know any thing about them!
    Thanks so much
    HR

2. Ken in Minn

Ken in Minn Well-Known Member

Hi Guest
    I don't have mini Jerseys but do have Dexter-Jersey cross calves, 5 heifers and a bull calf for sale. These are some of the best doing calves I have ever seen. If interested contact me.
    Ken in Minn.

3. arnoldw

arnoldw Well-Known Member

I bet this is a wonderful cross do you have any photos. Are these your first crosses of these breeds or are you already milking them and how are they doing
    Thanks Arnold

4. Ditto for me. Please tell us more about them.

Why did you choose this particular cross?

5. Ken in Minn

Ken in Minn Well-Known Member

I didnt choose this particular cross. I received these from the Dexter cows I bought in Neb. They sure are as nice a calves as I have ever seen. Not sure what I am ging to do with them. Would like to know, What they are worth? If there is a demand for them or not? Would appriecate all the help I can get. I have plenty of room and feed for them, so that is not a problem. Do any of you fine folks out there in cattle land know, is there anybody raising this cross on a steady basis or not?
    These calve are some of the best I've seen. Easy keepers, all I give them is wild grass hay, put up in choice condition. They are either eating,resting or playing and running around. The nicest,slickest shinnyest black calves you will ever see. I will try to get some pics of them, and get them on this board for all to see.
    Hope this answers all the questions on these calves, if not get back to me.
    Hope all have a nice day and enjoy the family and freinds on this Christmas eve.
    Thanks
    Ken in Minn.

6. Carol K

Carol K Well-Known Member

Ken,
    you have Belmonts some may call them Belfairs i think. Google Belmont and you will find plenty to read about.

Carol K

7. arnoldw

arnoldw Well-Known Member

Hi Ken We have been PM each other on this cross. I have stated before that I am not a big Dexter fain but I really like this cross. Great forager the Decter and the small size of the Jersey and off course the wounderful milk and Butterfat of the Jersey. I think this would also work with crossing the Canadienne or the Shorthorn with the Jersey. I think most Homesteaders not Large Beef or Dairy farmers are setting on less than 20 acres and are looking for a cow that will produce enogh milk and cream for there family. We also want to be able to raise a few babies for our freezers. Ken as fare as price, A week ago before this Mad Cow Disease I would Quess they would be Wourth $500 to $600 a piece. Today I would hang on to them and wait and see right know. I wish they where closer I would love to have them. Im in NC. Thanks Arnold

8. florida girl

florida girl Guest

I am a 14 year old and I am also very interested in either a jersey, a mini-jersey, a dexter or a mini-dexter. I'm new to the cow-girl-thing so any tips on where to actually buy these animals? Auctions? Online? I'm completly clueless and I would appreciate the help. Let me know!
    -florida girl
    p.s. Also, any info. on mini-zebus would be helpfull. thanks! f.g.

9. jucal

jucal Well-Known Member

I have just recently got into the miniature jersey breed. I bought a bred heifer that had a bull calf Oct. 15th. She is a duel registered jersey. Registered with the AJCA and AMJCR. The bull calf was the first duel registered miniature jersey bull. He is a beauty. The reason I got into the miniature jerseys was because I wanted a small cow that wouldn't take alot of feed and in return give enough milk that would supply my family and a little extra. Right now all the milk is going to the calf but when he is weaned she will fill the bill. She is by far the very best cow I have ever owned. She just amazes me with her docile personality. We have milked her and you couldn't ask for a more gentle animal.
    Judy

10. Snowdancer

Snowdancer Well-Known Member

Judy, if it's not too nosy how much do mini jerseys go for and where did you find her? I'm in KY and so far I've had no luck finding anyone raising them within 300 miles.
    We had a Jersey dairy when we lived in WI and I love the breed! Now even one full size Jersey would produce too much for our needs but a mini might just fit the bill.
    Thanks,
    Kathy

11. jucal

jucal Well-Known Member

Well Kathy I know that I paid way too much for the heifer but she is what we wanted. I paid $1500 for her but like I said she had all ready been bred with the seman of an Ile of Jersey bull that had been dead for 20 years. We hope that she will be the start of our herd to preserve the old way of life of a single cow for a single family. We do hope to grow and to be able to sell top quality miniature Jerseys to familys that are interested in the old way of life and preservng the breed. I in no way think that you have to have registered anything to have a fine animal that works well for you. I in fact have 2 other Jersey heifers (with no papers at all) that I feel will be great animals that I plan to breed to my registered miniature bull this spring. I gave $600 a piece for them when they were just a few months old. I just bought a 4 year old Jersey cow this past week and paid $800. She gives way too much milk for us but I want to put calves on her to raise. She is not a very big cow either but she gives around 3 gal per day. I will breed her to our miniature bull also and see what I get. I will be glad to put you in contact with who I bought my first heifer from if you would like. He is also from OK and does know other breeders. He may or may not be able to help find someone closer to you. I do know of another lady from Ohio I think, but would have to look it up if you are interested.
    PM me if you are interested in the info.
    Judy