Miniature goats?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Ravenlost, Feb 25, 2005.

1. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

What good are miniature goats? My SIL wants us to buy a pair ($70) because she thinks they are cute. Are they worth the investment? Are they a lot of trouble? I don't want more livestock just because it's cute...five "cute" horses is enough! If we get these they have to be useful in some way. Are they?

2. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

I hav mini nubians, cute as can be, good with milk too.

3. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

I raise Pygmies. They are good for weed control & make wonderful pets. You can milk them, but they have very tiny teats, so I don't. I make a nice little bit on selling the kids. I always have people calling wanting to buy kids.

4. Ravenlost

Yeah...figured I might need a strong light and a magnifying glass to milk them! ;) So the money would be in selling the kids?

5. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

Depends on what kind of miniature goats you are talking about. I have Kinders (not really miniature) for milk and meat (and the hides, as a byproduct of meat). Mini-Nubians would be decent milk goats, Nigerian Dwarfs are also supposed to be decent for milk, although a little short to milk. Pygmies should make good small meat animals, but as has already been said, they would be difficult to milk. I wouldn't sell goats for a pet market, because too many potential buyers don't know the difference between goats and dogs or cats, and the goats would suffer for it. But there is a market, a growing one, I think, for 'house goats' -- not goats that stay in the house, but goats that produce milk (and in some cases meat) for household use. That is primarily what I have Kinders for.

Kathleen

6. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

Which "miniature" goats is she looking at? Pygmies or Nigerians? From what I've learned (and it's not much, someone feel free to correct me) is that pygmies are miniature meat goats and that nigerians are miniature dairy goats. Pygmies are described as looking like beer kegs on legs while nigerians are supposed to look just like a tiny dairy goat.

Pygmies are being crossed with full sized Nubians and the Kinder breed is being developed from these crosses as a dual purpose goat, good for milk and for meat.

Nigerians are being crossed with all the other, full sized dairy goats and the crosses being developed into mini-Nubians, mini-Lamanchas, etc.

If your SIL is looking at actual Nigerians, and not the more common and less expensive pygmies, for $70 for the pair and you do not want them, I do. Where are they located?

7. eggladyj

eggladyj Well-Known Member

I raise Pygmies too and have found that they are rather easy to milk! It just takes a bit of adjusting your method of milking to get it done, for your effort you will be rewarded with some rich creamy milk! The easiest way I have found to milk comfortably is to sit in a kids chair, mine are called Tot Spots(the chairs) and can hold up to 250lbs so no worry there for me! I have collars on my girls with a snap hook that I hook them to the fence with in the shade and go for it. I milk only once a day, my time thing, and get approx. 3-4 cups per milking on the down side of lactation. If you choose to go with Pygmies as a milker look at her mom and try to get one with nice size teats, it's possible believe me.

Jeannine

8. Ravenlost

I asked hubby about it last night as he's the one SIL talked to and he said they're $70 each. Don't know what breed they are...SIL probably didn't even think to ask about THAT. They're in the Shreveport, LA area. IF we got goats I would prefer we get some for milking.

9. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

We'll be getting at least one Nubian doe for milk.

10. tatanka

tatanka Well-Known Member

We have miniature nubians. I have a rather large hand for a female and I am milking our does with a whole hand. These two does were first freshners this year and milking great.

Marla

11. longearsfarm

longearsfarm Well-Known Member

FWIW, I have Nigerian Dwarf dairy goats and they're not tough to milk cause I have a very high milk stand which allows me to stand while milking...I do not use my whole hand, but still, the milk is great and makes wonderful cheese and soap and they're large producers for such small gals.

We love our goats!
    Valerie
    LongEars Farm

12. chma4

chma4 Wolverton Family Farm Supporter

If they are Nigerians, you are getting a good deal. I get between 300 and 600 each for pure registered nigerian dwarf does. Plus, each one gives up to 1/2 gallon of milk/day. So, like I said, if they are Nigerians, go for it.