Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Mother,Artist, Author
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking through some of the magazines Countryside and every time they feature livestock, I decide I want one as well.

Well, I do know that I would like to get a miniature black angus cow for a pet. Any info on this breed? As well any info in general as I am not familiar with cow ownership.

fiddlekat

·
Registered
40 Posts
I do not know of Miniture Angus cows, however I have heard of Lowline Angus.. They are great for producing meat for small acreage owners. I do not believe the temperments are as good as a Dexter and Dexters are considered Daul purpose, meaning you can milk them and have good meat.

Lowlines are can be very expensive if you were just wanting one for a pet.

What would be your intended use for them?(cows)

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
FiddleKat,

A Dexter would be a better choice than a Lowline Angus. You can buy a Dexter for 1/2 the price you'd pay for a Lowline. The Angus name has made the Lowline into a pricey fad, like emus and llamas.

You can get a Dexter in black, red or dun that is horned or polled. They have really great temperament. A lot of petting zoos use Dexters for their size and gentleness. I wouldn't have any other breed for a pet.

Check the American Dexter Cattle Association site or the Purebred Dexter Cattle Association sit for a list of breeders in your area.

Email me, genebo at verizon.com, and I'll send you a picture of me and my Dexter bull. Now there's a pet!

Genebo

FiddleKat said:
I have been looking through some of the magazines Countryside and every time they feature livestock, I decide I want one as well.

Well, I do know that I would like to get a miniature black angus cow for a pet. Any info on this breed? As well any info in general as I am not familiar with cow ownership.

fiddlekat

·
Registered
152 Posts
FiddleKat,
What state are you located? In or close to WA state, you are welcome to come visit my Dexter bull and I could take you to a few Dexter breeders if you want to check out the breed up close and personal.

·
Registered
724 Posts
The petting zoo around here has a Zebu. I don't know anything else about them, but if you are looking for them as a pet, maybe someone else on the board can give you some info on them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts