Mini van winsheild

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by kath2003, Jan 5, 2005.

1. kath2003

kath2003 Well-Known Member

Would anyone have any tips on replacing a windsheild in a 1993 Ford Aerostar?Is it true if it isn't setting in perfect,the first bump you hit could crack it??
    Thanks

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Installing a windshield is touchy but not a recipe for disaster. Properly placed there should be no problems. First clean the mounting area fully, install the glass into the rubber holder, place both into the hole by first placing the bottom of the holder into both the inside and outside at the same time. Now place a strong piece of cord, such as 1/8th inch nylon or similar into the hollow portion of the rubber so that it is in fully across the top down to the portion that touches the car on both sides. With a loose end at each side slowley pull the cord in to the car, the cord will pull the rubber in with itsself. Be sure the rubber and mounting area is lubricated, with mineral oil, baby oil or such. The older cars use only a rubber strip, newer ones usually have a insert piece of rubber that has to be wedged into the larger mounting piece of rubber. Lastly, install the metal trim if so equiped.

3. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

I'm not positive about an Aerostar windshield but I'm pretty sure. Almost all vehicles built in the last 25 yrs. have the widshields "glued" in. On later vehicles the windshield is actually considered a structural part of the body. In other words if you removed the winshield and drove the vehicle the flex would actually cause the roof pillars to break.
    To remove this windshield it has to be cut out if it is installed with an adhesive. you can cut it out with a windshield knife or special windshield cutting wire. I have used piano wire and it will work but it is harder to do. you then have to clean the body, prime the surfaces and install the adhesive.

4. John Hill

John Hill Grand Master

Further to Beeman's comments.

If you are trying to remove a windshield without breaking it using the wire method you must first thread the wire in between the glass and the frame. This will require making a small hole through the tough 'rubber' goo, be very careful as pressure on the glass edge can start a crack.

I am not sure about piano wire, I thought that would be too stiff, however I have managed to do it with a steel fishing trace.

5. kath2003

kath2003 Well-Known Member

Thank you very much for the help.This job is not one we are looking forward to.The windshield has a crack in it now right down the middle,top to bottom,so getting it out is gonna be tough also.

6. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    In the older style of glass mount you just sit low in the seat and use your feet to push out the glass.