Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were given a mini rex buck and doe. the other thread on eating rabbit said they eat there culls. I was wondering if they are worth breeding for small fryers , also what kind of numbers I can expect as to litter size.

bassketcher

·
Premium Member
1,056 Posts
Our tiniest doe gives us around 4 each time (but if bred to a buck that carries the dwarf gene we end up with one or 2 peanuts every time too :(. Our Largest doe is a 6 pounder :eek: and she gives us 8-9 each litter. Average does are usually 5-6 each litter which after talking to other mini rex breeders seems pretty standard.
Melissa

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Our doe was too big to be in the show. Probably weighs 5 1/2 pounds The buck is only 2/3 as big as the doe.
how can you tell if the bucks have the dwarf gene?
The buck is blind in one eye and they gave us the doe only because she is over sized.

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
If you get peanuts you'll know both doe and buck carry the dwarf gene. If the doe doesn't, you may see larger and smaller offspring from her as some will be dwarves from the buck being a carrier. If the offspring are consistent in size over a litter or two, probably the buck doesn't carry it. But it's not a problem if he does, just save a larger buck from the offspring and start using that one as the herd buck in a year.

I know someone who raises Netherland Dwarfs and the young kids LOVE the fact that they can have a whole rabbit for dinner themselves! :)

Jennifer

1 - 4 of 4 Posts