Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a mini pig that has just been a pet really. There is a Yorkshire boar that got out a few months back from a farm down the road and our piggie was smitten. She got out and ran the street with him before we realized what happened. ‍♀ We fixed the fence and built her a new enclosure so it wouldn’t happen again, but I think she’s pregnant. Is this possible? Has anyone ever bred these two? If so, what kind of pig will they be? He was so big!

I think she’s pregnant because her demeanor has been different - she’s been nicer actually. She’s been nesting, dragging twigs and branches into a bed she’s made for herself. Her teats look bigger than normal.

I raise chickens... am I going to be a pig farmer too in a few days??

What can I expect over the next few days, weeks? If I have piglets, will these pigs be okay for meat & lard?

·
An Ozark Engineer
13,432 Posts
I think it will turn out okay. Pls keep us posted. Just my opinion; I'm not a pig farmer!

Reactions: Kristin Davis

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We are still waiting. She seems restless and tired at the same time. I can see her belly moving every now and then when she’s still.

·
Lost in the Wiregrass
8,841 Posts
Watch her as best you can. SHOULD be fine. They have multiple births which generally helps keep the babies smaller. A lot of people freak out over size differences but normally it’s ok. Some animals will have over sized offspring regardless of what you do.

·
Registered
440 Posts
You can also try and have a vet on stand-by just in case. If you mark the day and analyze gestation duration, you can pin-point roughly when you'll expect her to pop.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts