Mini PB Piglets

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Lazy Daze Farm, Mar 15, 2005.

1. Lazy Daze Farm

Lazy Daze Farm Active Member

I'm a new owner of 2 miniature pot bellied piglets. 6 weeks old. They are adorable & everything, but really wild. The sellers said that's common while they are nursing off their mom, but they they will calm down in no time. Will they? The little male, whom is soon to be an "it", bit me. Kinda smarted! :waa: And he's tried taking a few more nips while I was holding him. The female squeals like crazy when she's first picked up (if I can catch her!) but hasn't bitten me at all. I'm just wondering if there are any taming tricks anyone knows, if they really will calm down or if I got doped into believing they will when they won't, and anything else anyone else is willing to share about general care of them. Thanks in advance :)

Liz

2. Lazy Daze Farm

Oh, and two other questions:

Anyone ever butcher miniature potbellies for meat? I've read a few threads where people mentioned regular sized potbellies raised for meat, but didn't see anything about the miniatures. I know it wouldn't be a significant amount of meat, but we really don't eat very much pork. Wouldn't take much to meet our needs here.

Castration- what's the general practice? Do most people do it themselves or leave it to a vet? If it's something that I can do myself, what's involved?

3. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

A woman who raises potbellies takes her wild babies and keeps them in the bathtub for a week. I suppose a stock tank in the living room would do as well. The point is to get them used to seeing you coming and going several times a day. She gives them food each time she sees them, eventually scratching them while they nosh. I think it's the only food they get. She says it takes about a week to tame them down to pet quality babies. They LIVE for food. That is what they respond to, not love. So just go with that and buy their love with goodies. It's what works.

Picking them up is bad in any case. Most pigs hate it, from what I've read. Something about prey animals and vulnerability.

4. Rouen

Rouen Well-Known Member

if you go back through this forum or do a search you'll come up with a number of posts about castrating.

5. Lazy Daze Farm

Ok, I found the threads on castrating. Sounds like tons of fun. Now I just need to find some courage. Or, after reading other's accounts of the "deed", maybe I just need to find my vet's number :eek:

Laura- thanks for the tips on taming!

Liz

6. Chinclub

Chinclub Well-Known Member

I am new to pot belly pigs as well. We bought the first one at 6 weeks. I kept her in the house and when I bought her she was wild!!! I wrapped her in a towel and held her in my lap in a rocking chair while I did my computer work. Within 24 hours she was rotten and would yell and scream is I wasn't holding her. She learned to be picked up very quickly. I learned that if I moved slowly she was fine. I guess for something that small it must be like a roller coaster to be lifted off the ground fast. I would take her outside to go to the bathroom and as soon as she was finished she would come back and stand on her back legs like a dog for me to take her back inside. She became so clingy that I couldn't take it anymore and bought her a friend. He was two weeks older. He bites something terrible and just will not bond! My guess is she was alone and had to bond with me...he bonded with her and hates me! So...my suggestion would be to separate them, bond with each one individually, and then put them back together if you really want them to be tame. I've decided to just let my boy be. Maybe he will become dinner one day. I certainly couldn't eat him if I pet him everyday anyway.

7. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

it is my considered opinion that PB pigs make terrible pets. i have two that i love dearly tho. if you want more genreal care info, please pm me.