Mini-Nubians

Discussion in 'Goats' started by lin853, Feb 25, 2005.

1. lin853

lin853 New Member

Does anyone have Mini Nubians... a cross between a Nigerian and Nubian rather than Pygmy? I really like the Nubians with their roman noses and pendulous ears, but I like the Nigerian for its wonderfully richer milk and small size... Pygmies also have very nice creamy delicious milk, but I was interested in the mix between the Nubian and Nigerian because they are both dairy...

2. shorty'smom

shorty'smom Well-Known Member

hmmmm. I wonder if the one "mutt" doe I have could be that. She's half the size of a Nubian, but she looks sort of nubian. Well, her ears and nose don't. She has a dished nose and ears that stand out. I do have nubians that seem small to me, compared to nubians I've seen in zoos and other places. Mine are half the size of the ones I saw in a zoo recently. I like them. Their udders aren't so large though the milk is creamy and rich.

3. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

I have mini nubians. they look just like the big girls. but my doe stands 22:at the wehther, and the bucks are 34 at the wethers. and they give about the same amount as the big girls. really. the milk is wonderful. I have them in my herd, and am doing two lines, one o big girls, and one of mini'.s no I have none for sale, and won't be selling any, in the future.

4. tatanka

tatanka Well-Known Member

We have mini nubians and just love them. They look like nubians but are just a size smaller so they are easier to handle then the big ones. I don't have to worry about my daughter or myself getting mowed over by a headstrong doe trying to get to the feed or a love starved buck trying to get to the does. They are great!

Marla

5. shorty'smom

shorty'smom Well-Known Member

The ones I have must be minis too then. I love them. They can still just about mow me over. My dh had to rearrange the feeding situation so I don't have to enter the pens to feed anymore. I was getting hurt too much. I've got several does that will come knock me down and steal the feed bucket. I was picking up pecans in a bucket last fall and one of them stuck her head between my legs and into the bucket of pecans. I ended up on the ground, pecans everywhere, and doe still looking for where the food went. Crazy goat.