Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So...up to now my only experience has been with full sized LaManchas...I dabbled a bit last fall and ended up with what I think is a beautiful MiniMancha doeling. I plan on not trying to breed her this fall when I rebreed my other does, but to wait for a full year and let her reach her full potential size. I have no experience what so ever with Nigerian Dwarfs and am curious about how they mix. As I understand they cycle and can be bred more that one time in a year ( not sure if I'm quite wording that properly ) I know for the most part LaManchas are fall breeders. How does that factor in when you combine the breeds? Do they cycle and work the same as full sized goats or more like the Dwarf or is it a toss up between the two?
I see in several signature lines there are several that breed MiniManchas so I'd really love to hear from you.

·
Premium Member
2,981 Posts
As far as cycling, I think it may depend on the doe herself. I just bred one the end of May, and either she took, or she stopped cycling. Which reminds me, I should take her up for an ultrasound. But I bred this doe and another MM last year in late July and both were cycling and took the first time.

As far as when to breed, just watch and see how your doe grows. I bred my Fawn, who's a 4th gen, and a pretty darn good sized gal at 10 months of age. She kidded with a beautiful little doeling. I also bred a 1st gen at exactly a year and she did fine as well. BUT, both of these girls were bred back to nigerians as I didn't have a mini mancha buck yet.

Good luck and have fun, I love my minis!

·
gracie88
913 Posts
Can you tell me a little about mini-manchas? Are they a recognized breed or always a cross? Are they supposed to be identical-just-smaller or do they share characteristics with both breeds? Are they considered utility or pet? How do they milk?

I did not find much about them on the net. Really, I have no need for short goats but they are so stinking cute :cute:

·
why hide it?
1,586 Posts
Sorry i missed this post earlier.

I have 2 MiniMancha does that I plan on breeding in August for January kids and milk.

I did not breed them myself although I also do breed full-sized Lamanchas. The Minis were bred by Sondra Peterson here on HT.

My LaMnchas cyle from April to February so they are close to year round, however, Iam quite far south. The Minis cycle what seems like all the time too. I will be borrowing a buck from another breeder and will then be producing 4th generation kids. They will be registerable with the MDGA (Miniature Dairy Goat Association).

MiniManchas are considered dairy goats and mine will be put on the stand and milked just like my full-sized dairy goats. They are also considered as pets because, yes, they are pretty cute. The lack of ears sets them apart from other Mini breeds in that you know right off what they are, a MINI Mancha!

I allowed my girls to mature to their full-size before breeding and I will have them in tip-top shape, BoSe and everything I can do to insure small multiples when they kid rather than one large baby, which may lead to difficult birth.

This is "A2Z Speckles" taken a few months back.

Speckles last fall (not any bigger now, but I can get some updated pics)

"A2Z Chelsey" last fall

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your answers..they do help me with the things I was wondering about. I have full sized LaManchas but I love the idea of the minis...bred one of my smaller does to an nigie buck last fall and ended up with (IMO) a beautiful mini doeling I'll see if I can't get some pics to post up to see others opinions of her.

·
Menagerie More~on
2,045 Posts
I used a Nigerian buck on my standard grade LaManchas this year, and the Nigerian blood sure made beautiful kids, I mean all sort of colors, moonspots, two tones and chamoisee like colors. All have ended up with smooth coats instead of the Nigerian wiry coat, and all the babies were tiny, most in the range of three to four pounds, and a set of healthy trips weighing a little over two pounds a piece.

The buck is a Rosasharn, and really improved the conformation in the kids. The kids seem to "act" like Nigerians more than LaManchas, ie, hyper and personality plus. I plan to keep two or three best doelings, the best buckling, and see what I get next year. I've been extremely pleased and can hardly wait to freshen them next year.

·
why hide it?
1,586 Posts
I would love to see some MiniMancha pics if yall have some. I just love all the spots and colors...it's cute on little goats. And they are dairy goats too...what a package!

·
(formerly Laura Jensen)
2,479 Posts
I've got lots of pics of Mini Manchas on my website, www.glimmercroft.com , including udder pictures of does in milk. LOVE these goats!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts