Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about adding one of the mini breeds to my rabbit population ... I've never had any minis and would like to hear the good and bad about both the Mini Lops and Mini Rex.

I do know you have to deal with "peanuts" with both breeds ... other than that, health problems? breeding problems? temperament? special needs?

·
Registered
157 Posts
I am sorry if I am hijacking this thread, but with the mini Lops, I have seen them at shows and they look HUGE! :eek: People always say that they are good pets for young children, but the ones that I saw were almost as big as NZ's. :shrug: Now Holland Lops and Netherland Dwarfs, OTOH, are very small, cute, and are great pets.

·
Premium Member
9,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay ... add Holland Lops to the list ... I'm not at all familiar with the small pet-type rabbits. Checked the ARBA standards and looks like the Hollands should be maximum size of 4# ... Mini Lops 6 1/2# ... so the Mini Lops are bigger than the Hollands but still should be smaller than the Rex, which is what I have now, as they should be around 10#.

Anyway ... good/bad things about the Holland Lops as far as breeding?

·
Registered
387 Posts
I raise both and yes. the mini lops are about six pounds but have you ever seen a reg. size lop thsy are huge. Mini rex can also go up to about 5 pounds. You just have to shop for size. I have small mini lops and larger ones. I also breed my mini rex to only small bucks. It depends on what you want. But I can tell you the mini lops make wounderful pets. They are sweet and gentle. When you start getting into dwarf breeds you run into more problems and some are with temperment. You need to be careful about what you buy. And you will also have a lot more peanuts.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Ok, I guess that I did see the regular lops, so that would explain the size. We have two holland lops as pets that are real sweeties, but we also have one doe that is a nightmare. Then again, we also have a NZW doe that lunges at us, so I am not sure if it is the individual rabbit, or the breeds. We are going to breed the Holland Lops next spring, so I cannot help you with that.

·
OlivYew Farm
712 Posts
My favorite small breed is the Netherland Dwarf. They are popular and easy to come by in most areas (just not in mine, Holland Lops and Mini Rex dominate here). I don't often sell mine as pets, they go for show/breeding. I wouldn't mind having Mini Rex either and may get a pair just to raise for pets. I also have experience with Mini Lops. I got them because of all the good things I've heard about them (easy to breed, good temperaments, also good for meat). Unfortunately an unscrupulous breeder sold me rabbits who wouldn't breed and an aggressive buck. Orphy is very correct that you must shop for good temperament.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
1. shop for temperament and handling
2. look at the parents
3. ask questions about how well they breed.
4. in lops ALWAYS check the teeth DO NOT take the breeders word for it. Check the teeth.
5. larger does produce less peanuts.

My experience:
I have two purebred hollands...larger scale does, bred to small buck. Mix in the babies...some small, some middle, some will be big like mom's are. one litter three babies one peanut ...so raised two nice very nice babies, difficult breeder, need to leave her in with the buck all day for three days to produce results. Another litter...eight there, no peanuts. One not purebred holland. Tiny doe. hard to breed. Produces two kits each litter. no peanuts. of the three...all have good temperaments. bred to bucks without temperament issues.

one mini lop proven doe. Easy to breed. BUT spends ALL her energy raising kits. Doesn't matter how hard I supplement her she loses all her condition in the first three weeks raising those kits. Has 5-6 each litter, takes three months to fully recover enough that I'd want to rebreed. I don't overfeed to bring them back as I think that causes it's own problems, I just supplement with oatmeal and BOSS and give lots of hay with normal ration pellets.

mini rex. haven't had a peanut with any of them as of yet. Have a mix of purebreds and wannabes. :) have 5-10 babies per litter. average of 7. wonderful temperaments all of them. Have one that can be overprotective the first week but settles nicely. Does best not being caged next to more than one rabbit. Dominant rabbit, tolerates her kits only to five weeks.

Two netherland dwarf. one a proven with me. Has one kit. that's all she gives per breeding. raises it well. will not foster. BUT is the sweetest thing out there, and her babies end up being the same. kit is ALWAYS sold before weaning.
doe number two..not proven. new to my herd. let's me handle her and switch her cages around without complaint to me or her side by side mates. Has lived happily with a buck for two weeks until she was fed up with him. She is a nice rabbit but not the sweetest thing out there like the other one is. The buck is an absolute darling.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Ladysown pretty much summed everything up there.

Just one point, Mini Rex have AMAZING personality's...very curious playful rabbits. I only have 4 mini rex, 2 being seniors and they are pigs, love food!!!

Never had a mini rex turn "evil" towards me, family, friends or strangers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts