Mini-Lamancha 4-H dilemma

Discussion in 'Goats' started by redcedarfarm, Jun 15, 2005.

1. redcedarfarm

redcedarfarm Active Member

I am a newbie to this message board. I have owned goats for over 10 years and love in Southern Indiana. My children are in 4-H and have become very competitve. We had the Supreme Grand Champion Jr. Dry yearling at the fair open show last year so now people see us as a threat and boy have mouths started running.
    My latest problem is our county 4-H has a messed up show. The pygmy's and Nigerian don't show in a regular class the have created a specialty goat class for these goats. Well, we have a mini-mancha and think it should be shown in the specialty class but, the other woman that has nigerians(yes, she is the only one that has nigerians),we will call her Denise doesnt want our mini shown against her nigerians. Keep in mind we will be showing nigerians this year too. We were told last night by Denises club leader that Denise is telling everyone that our goat shouldn't be shown in the specialty class because there is no registry for mini-mancha's. I looked it up and there is a registry for mini's, called the Miniature Dairy Goat Association.
    My question to you is, what would you do? What class would you show her in?
    Another thing to keep in mind is last year everyone one of our goats were put in the wrong class. Our goat superintendant decides what class to put the goats in. So we got a big "screw" at the fair last year. So I am consideralby irate.
    Thank you all for any advice I look forward to hearing what you all would do.
    Dawn SUmmers
    Corydon,IN

2. JanO

JanO Well-Known Member Supporter

Since this Denise person is claiming that there isn't a registry for your goats, I would show the powers that be the documentation that there there is indeed a registry. Then let the coordinators, or whoever has the say so, decide if your goats will be shown in that class. Is there perhaps another class that your mini's would also fit into? It sounds like this person is afraid that her goats won't show well against yours... which can be good thing depending on how you want to look at it. She doesn't have the final say in it though, she's just making noise and hoping that somebody will pay attention. Regardless...tell your kids to go out there and do their best. I think it's wonderful that they are so active in 4H and showing. Congrats on last years championship too. :p

3. redcedarfarm

redcedarfarm Active Member

Jan,
    Thank you for your advice. The only problem is she is very powerful in the 4-H. She is just a leader but her husband is the cattle superintendant and he has alot of pull. dNot to mention they have money and in this county that means alot. I am going to do everything in my power to make sure we get what we deserve. It is like I told my kids money can buy alot but it can't by knowledge and respect, and I have both.
    Thank you
    Dawn

4. JanO

JanO Well-Known Member Supporter

In the end it sounds like she's going to make herself look like a fool. I hate people like that. :grump: Just stick to your guns and tell your kids to hold their heads up high. Money and power may mean something to some people, but doing the right thing means more when it gets down to the nitty gritty of things. Use this as a lesson to teach your kids the value of honesty, and self respect. Not that they need it, but sometimes I think we all need a little reminder of the simple things.

Good luck in the show. I'm sure your kids are going to do great, and in the end it's all going to work out.

5. Mrs_stuart

Mrs_stuart Well-Known Member

It seems to me that if they created thecreated a specialty goat class [/B] then they should have qualifications for it: like ...under so many inches high, under a certain weight, only certain breeds, and such...ask to see the specifications that will be in the rule book and enter you goat where it fits into.
    I wouldn't make a fuss about it, i would "just follow the rules" that someone has already made...you doe probally fits into their qualifications. If the rules do not "qualify" your goat for that specialty class then move on but i bet it does. Good luck...there is nothing worse than "fighting" to show your animal (kids animal ) because someone is worried...it is suppost to be fun and a good experience.

Belinda

6. animal_kingdom

animal_kingdom Well-Known Member

There is this movie that Feature Films for Families and Sandstar Entertainment have listed on their website.

We bought this movie years ago and it came to mind when you were telling your story. It's called Rigaletto (sp?). It has taught my children that honest and integrity is most important and to hold your head up high when everyone wants you to show defeat. It's a great self esteem checker.

My girls have watched this countless times over the years. They seem to pull it out when they've been pressed against. It almost has no cover anymore!

Defeat is in the eye of the beholder. It truly is how you play the game. The truth remains no matter who tells the story or how they tell it. Our family has been lied about for years. I'm thinking it's because we are honest and go the extra mile for others that causes so much irritation for those that think only of themselves. We know the truth but others will believe what they will. Who sleeps better? WE do!!!! ;)

Best wishes no matter what the outcome. Keep your shoulders back and smile. You already are winners!!!

7. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Technically now that ADGA has Nigerians as a breed in their association, along with AGS, in any open show with full size dairy breeds, Nigerians would show right along with them. So this would leave the mini-dairy and the Pygmies showing against each other in a speciality class.

I would put all dairy goats into the same ring, shown by age group, you are either a dairy goat or not. The pygmy's being a meat breed are the ones who should be shown against themselves in the specialty ring. Sadly most counties do not adopt National 4H rules, they make up their own rules as they go, at the whim of competitors. And even sadder is that with only local competition it just makes for a nasty show for the kids, open it up to other counties and then the competition amongst the local kids to beat the outside kids starts, making for a tight group of kids. My daughters (now grown with kids of their own) were very competitive in 4H and we took great pride in going to outside counties in force and coming home with every rosette, every belt buckle and winning showmanship in every division with them and the other kids in our 4H club. That and outside competition is the only way to judge the merit of your 4H leader and your breeding programs and management. Beating local competition isn't really showing anything.

It's a real shame the kids have a leader like this. I would send in my entries, show in whatever class he puts the goats in, and hope my Junior champion freshens with an wonderful udder so the kids can keep showing her!

4H with the onset of the Boers became so nasty that in later years we simply only showed in open shows all over Texas and Lousianna, I still show in open shows and likely will not have my grandkids even in local 4H, they will show goats with me. Local 4H doesn't teach your children the values it used to especially in market animals, and now sadly we here more and more parents all up in it during breeding stock shows also. Parents are ruining it for the kids, be it 4H or sports, perhaps the parents shouldn't be allowed even to watch :) Vicki