mini jersey cattle

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by spinnDrSandy, Dec 7, 2005.

1. spinnDrSandy

spinnDrSandy Active Member

We think we may have a miniature jersey cow and bull. We purchased them when they were 2 and 3 weeks old as regular jerseys but they are very small and are now over a year old. We read that a mini jersey bull is 43 inches at the hip. We aren't sure whether we should measure him to the backbone or to the top of the hip. He is 48 inches at the top of the back bone but is about 43 inches to the top of the hip. Does anyone know? We will be thrilled if they are miniatures. Are they considered full grown at 14 months or is it possible that they will get taller?

2. bob clark

bob clark A man's man

I know nothing about minis but i would say the 43 inch max is the highest point in the hip area. they still sound great to me

3. 65284

65284 Well-Known Member Supporter

They will grow for a while longer, bulls grow for several years. Be very careful around the bull he is getting big enough to be dangerous. All bulls are dangerous but Jersey bulls have a well deserved reputation for being killers. They have probably killed and maimed more unwary or careless farmers than any other breed.

4. MaryF

MaryF Well-Known Member

They will stop growing at either 3 or 4 yrs old, cant remember which, hth's.
    Mary