Mini-dairy breed genetics

Discussion in 'Goats' started by TexCountryWoman, May 28, 2006.

1. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

I came home from a goat show today with a pair of beautiful Mini-Mancha doelings. I have been very interested in Minis for some time and am thrilled to have had the oppurtunity to add these nice animlas to my herd. I have been reading all i can on the "interweb" but I am still havig a bit of dificulty understanding the whys and wherefores of breeding the different generations.. These are third generation. I assume they would have to be bred to a third generation buck as well.

Also, I was suprised to find out that they were not to be bred til they older than regular sized dairy goats. It makes since, but i am just new to small goats. Anything anyone knows will help me.

And, do all minis have small teats, or can you breed for larger "handles" for milking?........Thanks

2. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

Diane, Small teats are from the Nigerian side most often. We do breed for larger teats. (See the does on my website, for example.) You don't HAVE to breed to a third generation buck, but if you breed to third or later, you'll get fourth generation kids - one step closer to purebred. I have bred minis at 7 to 8 months, but got large, single kids. Not good. I now wait until 10 or 11 months old to breed. I have last year's February baby bred to kid in a week or so.

Can I ask what the bloodlines are of your girls?

3. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Thanks Laura. These doelings are from A2Z dairy goats in Azle, Texas. I don't have the pedigrees in front of me at this time. Sondra, their breeder shows quite a bit, and has some really nice minis.

I think breeding for large teats is a direction i would like to take my MiniManchas. I have a lot to learn about bloodlines etc. I am really not familiar with any of them, all new to me as i have just been dealing with full sized Lamanhcas and dabbling in Boers. Any help in this area would be of great help. I want to do this breed justice. My husband is quite taken with them too. He is already wanting to build more pens. We have a good bit of acreage and the only problem is buying enough field fencing. We never seem to have enough! We have unlimited browse. A small cattle ranch makes for a huge goat ranch........poor hubby, our bull has gone missing and he is out tracking him down right now, there goes pen building for today!

4. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Another question, how long do you bottle-feed your minis?

5. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Hope hubby finds that bull soon! LOL That is one pretty bull.

How big do the minis end up?

6. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Hi neighbor! Hubby came in, and yes, he found the bull!

The MiniManchas are less than 26 inches at the shoulder, i believe that is the standard, i'm so new to them. they are like mini-dairy goats! So cute and easy to handle! The woman who we got these fom is a serious breeder and shower and has more for sale and generally always does. There is a show in Brenhem she may be coming back down too. Mine will not be bred til 07 so they can mature a bit. The breeder had a doe we really wanted but we were in the truck and no trailer and could fit yet another goat in with all our ice chests and stuff.

These we got are very highly colored too, one was the second place winner in her class. A friend has an excellent buck we will be using in the future, she lives in the Waller area.

7. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

Diane, A2Z is a nice herd! I'm looking seriously at shipping a buckling up here from Arizona that has an A2Z sire (A2Z Chunkey Monkey). Congratulations on your purchase!

With regard to bottle feeding, I actually dam-raise my goats, and consider that they can be weaned at 8 weeks. I generally wean by selling either dam or offspring, but when I keep a doeling, I use teat tape to wean, and I usually wean later, just because it's easier for me. :)

8. dezeeuwgoats

dezeeuwgoats Well-Known Member

I have nigerians and nubians. I definately select for larger teat size in my nigerians. I am sure you can do so with mini-manchas. Just a note - one thing I have discovered is that orifice size, and udder texture also play a huge role with ease of hand-milking nigerians. Nice big teats, with tiny orifices are just as big a pain to me as tiny teats!

Niki

9. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

You make a good point. I will certainly keep that in mind when selecting stock. With these smaller goats, i think emphasis should really be placed on ease of milking. I saw someone at the show yesterday miling a Nigerian who was having quite a time trying to get any milk out due to teat size. If a goat is a dairy goat, you should be able to milk it! But hey, I am new here to minis, I am certainly here to learn.