Mini Chain Saw

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by FolioMark, Feb 16, 2004.

1. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    Has anyone used one of these www.minichainsaw.com ? Its a sort of chain saw cable with two handles. You drape it over the limb or small tree to be cut and pull on one handle and then the other. Looks like good aerobic exercise and would be quite a handy little deal for me to carry aroung for light brush work on my place.Not as bulky or heavy as a regular chain saw. Wonder if they stay sharp? Seems to me I remember seeing someone use one of these when I was a boy. Is this some forgotten tool that someone has reinvented?

2. uriah

uriah Member

East TN but usually on the road somewhere...
    They've been around about as long as a chainsaw. It's just a little pruning saw, and shouldn't be that hard to make one. I've used them, still have one, and they are better then nothing.

3. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    Thanks Uriah: I thought I remembered my Dad using one of these when I was a kid. Be a handy thing for me to use in my wheelchair. Im gonna check the hardware store for one of these.

4. d-k-g-1

d-k-g-1 Member

Yeppers these things have been around for awhile in one form or another... just a word of advise... make sure that your pull rope is well maintained and that you oil the links on the chain frequently... had the rope pop once and darn near took a chunk out of me on the back swing...

Dave

5. SteveD(TX)

SteveD(TX) Well-Known Member

I've got one similar to that - a rope saw I think it's called. Worked pretty good, but haven't used it in a while. I think I got it at Home Depot, probably 10 years ago.

6. bare

bare Head Muderator

I've had a couple different versions over the years and don't think much of them. I much prefer either nippers for stuff up to 2 inches or a real pruning saw for any thing up to 6 inches.

The problem I have with them is it takes both hand to run the darn thing and if your wood is small diameter or brush, you need a third hand to hold it in place to cut it, otherwise it just whips back and forth.