minerals?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by TimberWolf, Mar 22, 2005.

1. TimberWolf

TimberWolf Member

Which minerals should I make sure a supplement contains for a 3.5 year old Nubian goat wether? About what levels of each? We live in central OH.

2. windyhollowfarm

windyhollowfarm Well-Known Member

I personally like the loose mineral by Purina. It is called Purina goat mineral. For goats I would always use a loose mineral rather than a block mineral. Never use a sheep mineral for a goat as sheep cant stand high levels of copper that goats need.

Leave minerals out in a container that cant be played, soiled in 24/7 so they always have access to them.

3. TimberWolf

TimberWolf Member

Thanks for your input. I am aware of the copper requirements. Our goat has access to our horses' mineral brick, he has to stand on his hind legs to reach it. I had also purchased for him Dumor Pasture Mineral, "for beef cattle & goats on pasture". It is a loose mineral. He ate it at first, but has rejected it for a good week or more now, despite my offering it to him fresh in a clean bucket. I was not completely satisfied with the analysis anyway. I called my local feed mill, they carry Sweetlix brand, & they also mix their own. Their custom mix sounds very good, but I wanted to see if there was anything I should make sure it has/doesn't have before ordering any....

4. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

dont overeact to his rejection of the mineral , just because hes not eating it doesnt mean he doesnt "like" it, he might not need it, generally, when you open up new mineral the eat the heck out of it for about a week , then you will hardly see them take a lick but once a week or so , they are very carefull on thier own monitoring of mineral intake, this is why i dont like the mineral blocks they have with the soybean and molasses in them , i think it encourages the goat to eat more than they need
    and please remeber a wether requires way less mineral than other dairy goats, and certainly not as much as a breeding buck

Beth

5. JoyKelley

JoyKelley Well-Known Member

An absolute must...make sure he gets the proper amounts of Ammonium Cloride, It helps prevent urinary calculi and that kills them ( I lost a little boy that way )

6. TimberWolf

TimberWolf Member

I wasn't concerned at first when he rejected it, but as it continues to go on.... I just want to make sure he has proper mineral intake as he is very thin (we adopted him from someone who rescued him from a neglectful home). He is getting grass hay & whatever grass & browse that may be beginning to grow. I would imagine he needs added minerals.... I guess he could be getting what he needs from the horses' mineral brick.

7. TimberWolf

TimberWolf Member

Yeah, I have been concerned about that, which is another reason I like what I was told about these custom minerals from my local mill...they add 2.5% Ammonium Chloride. Plus the Calcium/Phosphorus ratio is about 2/1, unlike the Dumor stuff I am offering now. Also, the copper & zinc are higher. Oh, & they use organic trace/ chelated minerals, plus add Lactobacillus.

8. NewlandNubians

NewlandNubians Well-Known Member

Wow - what is the name of the mill that mixes this mineral? Do you have a tag handy that you could type up the specs? If not, I'll call the mill myself. Also, what's the price and what size bags do they sell it in?

9. TimberWolf

TimberWolf Member

Yeah, sounded pretty impressive to me too. They are my local mill, called D&L. I don't have an analysis tag yet (didn't want to make a drive just for that, gas too expensive :eek: ). I should have the info soon though. When I do, I will let you know :) . As to size bags, I know they sell it in 50lb bags, which are $30 I think. Not sure if they sell it in other sizes. How much would you need?

10. animal_kingdom

animal_kingdom Well-Known Member

I get an awesome mineral mix. Smells so good, I want to eat it...!

It's from Custom Milling. They have a website and I believe cover alot of the eastern side of the US in dealers.

I just ordered 2 50# bags and it was about $33 per 50#. (included shipping) ONly about $17 per bag without shipping.

They also have some other great products. I personally only get the minerals until I can send a truck down there to save on shipping.

I once had goats so copper deficient because I used a "sheep and goat" mineral. It causes all kinds of problems, infertility, mange, inability to gain proper weight,and the list goes everywhere. So now I separate the animals only for mineral feedings. Or I put some in their stalls at night. They take what they need. I keep it away from the sheep.

Save yourself lots of problems later on by giving your goats feed and minerals that are for goats only! Don't try to save yourself hassle and money by combining animals. Cattle, goats and sheep all eat differently and have different needs.

good luck.

11. TimberWolf

TimberWolf Member

Well, the stuff I am providing right now smells good enough for me to eat too, but there has to be more to it than that, which I know you know.
    I am not sure if you were responding to me about the Golden Blend minerals, but it would cost me the same (or more) to buy those as the minerals at my mill. I like what I have found in my mill's mix: it has similar levels, uses organic chelated trace minerals & adds Ammonium Chloride, plus they add Probiotics!

I did not get my goat a "sheep & goat" mineral. I knew better than to do that. I chose Dumor Pasture Mineral, it had ok levels for goats, but not ideal. It was the best I could find at the time (I wanted our newly acquired malnurished goat to have minerals right away). I did not just get something to use with all my animals to save money & hassle! (I don't even have cattle). I know goats have specific needs, that is why I continued to search around, & when I found out my mill makes minerals specifically for goats, I was thrilled! I just wanted to make sure I was not overlooking anything so I decided to ask here...get input from all the "goat experts" ;) .

12. Farmgirl2005

Farmgirl2005 Well-Known Member

"It's from Custom Milling. They have a website and I believe cover alot of the eastern side of the US in dealers."
    What is the website for them.
    Thanks Lyn

13. animal_kingdom

animal_kingdom Well-Known Member

www.custommilling.com

Hoegers sell them but if I buy it direct, I get twice as much for the same price.

I got an extra 50# bag this time because it made the order cheaper per bag. If you want any, they are here for the same price I paid. Just let me know. Just arrived this past Thursday.

14. TimberWolf

TimberWolf Member

NewlandNubians (& anyone else who cares ;) ),
    I wanted to let you know I have the info from the tag of my mill's goat mineral mix (I actually have had it several days, but I have been really busy). Anyway, here is the info:

GENESIS Champion Goat P-8 Mineral AC
    (for all stages of goat production)

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS
    Calcium ......... (Min) 16.0% .......... (Max) 18.00%
    Phosphorus............................…….. (Min) 8.00%
    Salt...........…... (Min) 10.0% .......... (Max) 12.00%
    Magnesium ............................……. (Min) 1.50%
    Potassium ...........................………. (Min) 1.50%
    Copper............................….. (Min) 1,750 p.p.m.
    Selenium .........................…. (Min) 12 p.p.m.
    Zinc ..............................…… (Min) 6,500 p.p.m.
    Vitamin A ........................…. (Min) 360,000 IU/lb.

INGREDIENTS
    Dicalcium phosphate, Calcium carbonate, Salt, Potassium chloride, Magnesium
    oxide, Ammonium chloride, Calcium sulfate, Zinc amino acid complex, Manganese
    amino acid complex, Copper amino acid complex, Cobalt glucoheptonate, Mineral
    oil, Manganese sulfate, Ferrous sulfate, Zinc sulfate, Dried Lactobacillus
    acidophilus fermentation product, Dried Lactobacillus lactis fermentation product, Dried Lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product, Dried Streptococcus cremoris fermentation product, Dried Streptococcus diacetylaclis fermentation product, Dried Bacillus subtillis fermentation product, Dried Aspergillus oryzae fermentation product, Dried Aspergillus niger fermentation product, Dried Brewers yeast, Vitamin E supplement, Sodium selenite, Vitamin A supplement and Vitamin D3 supplement.

FEEDING DIRECTIONS
    Mix 50 Ibs. of Goat P-8 Mineral AC per ton of complete goat feed or
    provide free-choice to goats at the rate of 1.5 to 2 ounces per head per
    day. Avoid direct contact of mineral with rain and/or water.
    Warning: DO NOT feed to sheep or other copper sensitive species.

Seems like pretty good stuff to me! Opinions?