Minerals..

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Hip_Shot_Hanna, Jul 31, 2006.

1. Hip_Shot_Hanna

Hip_Shot_Hanna Well-Known Member

I bought the salt/trace mineral block to put out for the goats, but I'm reading that they need more minerals than they will get from that. I did see 50 pounds sacks at the feed store called Range Minerals. Is that what you folks are feeding?

Or is there a special "goat mineral" mix?

Also, I've never seen baking soda at the feed store.

Thanks in advance for any information!

HSH

2. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

I order my baking soda at the local feed store in 50 pound bags. Ask for bicarbonate or something like that.

The minerals I use come in a block, but are actually a lose mineral.

Ruth

3. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

I bought a bag of loose Goat minerals (look for high copper 300 ppm) at the feed store but had to order a bag of sodium bicarbonate (baking soda). The latter cost about $9 for 50 pounds. Cheap insurance.

I'm new to this goat raisn' but it seems that what we are trying to do is to keep the bacteria in the rumen on an even keel and that's where the baking soda comes in by buffering the pH so it doesn't get too acid or alkaline.

4. coso

coso Well-Known Member Supporter

The Sweetlix I use has 1750 ppm of copper, and I also feed the Sodium Bi-carb.

5. dbarjacres

dbarjacres Well-Known Member Supporter

Be careful buying "goat mineral" at some feed places. What I found is it's sheep mineral with a bit of copper added, but not enough copper for goats. We even special ordered 200 lbs of goat mineral from a mill many states away (it was Golden Blend I think, you can buy small containers in Hoeggers mag. or direct from the mill) and the goats ate it at first, but after the first bag, wouldn't touch it. The only other choice around here is Purina Goat Mineral, which I've heard goats don't like much either. I tried my horse mineral and they really like it, been feeding it for a year now and no health problems and they (12 mini goats) eat more than my 12 horses/donkeys - like one bag lasts the goats 6-8 weeks and one bag lasts the equines 6 months! We either use Equine Merit or Kent loose horse minerals. It's got 1800 ppm copper in it also.

We also offer Kelp free choice and Bi-carb.

6. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

loose horse /goat/ or dairy cattle minerals is the only way to go I use Bluebonnet Tach Master complete I get from TSC