Minerals in Poop?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Ellie5, Sep 10, 2005.

1. Ellie5

Ellie5 Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if goat/horse poop adds minerals back into the soil for use by the plants? Would the mineral content excreted increase when the goats are fed loose minerals?

May sound like a strange question but I really want to know and my pasture management book doesn't cover this.

Thanks,

Ellie5

2. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

very interesting question.

3. natybear

natybear Well-Known Member

Great question. What a goat doesn't need they will put into their milk or their poo. People do the same thing, once we max out our capacity we excrete the rest, the extras will replenish your soil slowly but no minerals will be wasted. Plus poo always has great nitogen!

4. Ellie5

Ellie5 Well-Known Member

Thanks!

I knew poo had some qualities for improving the soil, but wasn't sure about the minerals, ect. We used some fill for a large hole & it didn't look too healthy of soil-not that rich, dark color but the price was right. So I spread some manure & lime on top, mixing it in some hoping to improve it a bit for next years grass.

Ellie5

5. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

we put our goats in our garden pasture over the winter for this reason. the first year we did this, they only pooed next to thier house. when the plants grew up that year we were astounded at the size of the plants that were where thier house used to be. the cherry tomatoe bush there got to below my ribcage, and the yellow squash got to my chin! and the fruits from them were stupendous and numerous. using this as proof goats are great, i am now allowed to continue getting more goats. hehe :D

6. Ellie5

Ellie5 Well-Known Member

Mygoat-I just may use your strategy to get more goats!

7. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

You joking, mygoat I got the easeist way yet, all I got to do is wait until a baby is born here and if it is a girl then I use my special plan. I take the baby to my mother and say she is sooo cute isn't she, then the baby stays. My mom has as big a soft spot for home- born goats as I do.

8. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

now i have to tell this story about getting goats :
    one day my dad was replacing fence along the road, part of the goat's pasture. idly, i said "I wonder how many goats it would take to eat down this pasture. im gonna guess 20."
    he looked at me and said " i dont even want to know."
    so now i decide if i am getting more or keeping babies. my dad thought i was selling daisy's babies fromthis year, and began telling people about them. he came up to me and said that so and so was interested in buying them, and how he didnt expect for goats to sell so fast! i was like, umm they arent for sale, dad. he frowned and walked away. the funny thing is i was only supposed to have 1 goat, ever. funny how that never works out with animals.