Minerals for Horses & Goats

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Laura, Jun 8, 2005.

1. Laura

Laura Well-Known Member

My daughter bought a mineral block with selenium for the horses today. Is it okay for the goats to have access to this?

2. manygoatsnmore

manygoatsnmore Well-Known Member Supporter

3. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

yes, it is ok, but your goats need goat minerals, and they are very different than horses. a good loose mineral is best. purnia makes a good one. I top dress my feed with it. But I also give gator aid, to goats in this heat, we are having.

4. Laura

Laura Well-Known Member

Okay, thanks. Aren't the goat minerals in the purina goat chow? I guess I better read the label.

Debitaber, WHAT heat wave? Everytime it gets a bit warm, it starts to rain out here.

5. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

They need minerals in addition to the goat chow. Goats tend to do better with loose minerals than they do with the blocks.

I made a mineral feeder out of pvc pipe and plumber's tape. They just take what they need.

6. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

sweetlix makes a rumensin\mineral block that I like. It has what they need plus rumensin to help fight cocci. I have nothing beats it for added weight gain either.

7. rhjacobi

rhjacobi Well-Known Member

Hi Laura,

I probably over react to Selenium because we live in a rare area where there is plenty of selenium. We can easily poison our goats with selenium if we give them minerals free choice. I would check the selenium maps to see what level of selenium occurs naturally.

http://tin.er.usgs.gov/geochem/county.php?place=f35039&el=Se&rf=southwestern

I just added a link that I got from someone else about various concentrations of trace minerals by states and countys in the US.

This might be useful for you and perhaps others.

Your local extension folks would probably be very helpful also.

Bob
    Lynchburg, TN.

8. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

In most cases you get a better quality mineral going off label to horse or cattle, rather than goats. But you do have to know a little about what you are doing, and using the selenium map, like Bob said, is the first step, also talking to other breeders in your area and a good vet (if you are lucky enough to have one) about what problems are specific for your area. Then when you move from hobby to trying to make some money at this, do your own blood tests, it isn't really that expensive.

Here for instance although we are only slightly in need of selenium supplementation, which should be well taken care of with selenium in the grain and in the minerals, we do have to give shots, because of the amount of iron in our water and soil, this iron makes our does ability to absorb other minerals in their diet (copper and selenium) poor. So everything goes hand in hand. I know our remarkable conception rates has everything to do with our supplementation. Since the same breed the same bloodline in other areas, with similar feeding programs, do not perform like my does do. Vicki