Minced Garlic as wormer:ok?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Ceres Hil, Sep 15, 2009.

1. Ceres Hil

Ceres Hil Well-Known Member

We give minced garlic to our pigs as a natural wormer (chickens too). Is this safe for buns?

We have a runty new arrival that still have a matted coat--its eating fine, but isn't growing or cleaning like others did.

It is with one other bun that seems fine in a separate cage--appreciate advice.

Came from folks who had them in cages full of old poopberries and they were not fed a balanced diet.

I have them on rolled oats, willow, black/rasp hay--usual routine with new buns...
    thx

2. SquashNut

SquashNut Well-Known Member

My rabbits would just eat garlic. I guess you would have to make them eat it. I am going to try pumpkin seeds.

3. Ceres Hil

I gave them pumpkin seeds, coat hasn't improved...

4. SquashNut

SquashNut Well-Known Member

I think it's possible the pumpkin seeds might be Ok if you start with a rabbit with only light infestations. i wormed mine with Piperazine wormer. At the rate of 1 OZ. per gallon of water. i'll do that a second time then start them on the pumpkin seeds. After that i may worm them in the summer when they are getting alot of out side greens with the piperazine again.
    The piperazine was sold as Pig Swig, but i think there is other names it is sold under as well.

5. springvalley

springvalley Family Jersey Dairy Supporter

Hi All. My two cents worth, Garlic is a natual antibiotic not a wormer. Pumpkin seeds are a natural wormer as are walnut leaves and nut skins or shucks(black walnuts) . But never give anything with black walnuts to horses as it is deathly toxic. We farm organicly so we know what works. Thanks Marc

6. katduck

katduck Well-Known Member

I occasionally give my rabbits sprigs from my chive plant. They LOVE it, it's had not to give them too much, but I think a lot would not be good for them. I wonder now if they would have eaten greens from the garlic plants and if that would have had a cleansing effect internaly.

Kat

7. Ceres Hil

we have chive; its a wormer??!!

8. springvalley

Chives are not wormers, maybe a little corn oil (not much) will help out with the coat. Pumpkin seeds should help, and give them a twig off a black walnut tree to chew on. Thanks Marc

9. Ceres Hil

dont have walnut...

apple?

Raspberry?
    Blackberry?

10. springvalley

Sorry! Walnut (black walnut) is only thing to use, leaves are best. See if you could find some. Or none in your area? Thanks marc

11. Ceres Hil

none is seattle...

12. Ceres Hil

so what are chives good for?

13. Lyndseyrk

Lyndseyrk Guest

The bad coat may not be just from worms (probably plays a role). Nutrition is the biggest key factor when it comes to a healthy coat. Will you eventually get him over to pellets? I'd give the coat a month after he's on a nice balanced diet (pellets/hay/greens) to show improvement.

14. springvalley

What are chives good for? Well, they are pretty good on a baked potato! lol! I have no idea other than they are greens for the bunny. We plant chives around our apple trees to keep the bunnies from chewing on the trunks. Pumpkin seeds are your only choice then. and they are just right in season.

15. MaggieJ

MaggieJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I would be reluctant to feed members of the allium family (onions, garlic, chives etc.) to my rabbits.

Pumpkin seeds in the right dosage should kill or immobilize intestinal worms like round worms or tape worms, but they are not an effective treatment for some other problems such as coccidiosis.

Dosage for pumpkin seeds seems to be a small handful per rabbit per day for about 2 weeks. Fresh raw seeds are thought to be most effective. Were you feeding enough, for long enough?

16. vikav

vikav Well-Known Member

Me too.

17. Ceres Hil

Maggie,

I am giving a handful a day to each cage since Saturday. The little one seems to be "cleaner" so perhaps we are achieving the goal. The others cleaned up and plumped up quickly.

18. MaggieJ

I'd continue with the pumpkin seeds awhile longer then. They are safe and a nutritious food as well as a medicinal... They may just take a bit longer to do the job. Be sure to post the results... It would be nice to have more input on this subject rom people who have tried it.

19. Ceres Hil

Maggie will do!

I think we can all help each other as there is so much to be gained/learned. The hard part of this forum is searching for answers when you are facing an issue/in a hurry!

20. MaggieJ

Did you try the search feature in the menu bar above? It's easy, but many people seem to overlook it. I use the advanced search and limit it to the rabbit forum. Just put in a couple of appropriate keywords... In this case I would have put in garlic or perhaps garlic wormer. I did this, just out of curiosity, and of course, garlic turned up mainly recipes :rolleyes: and garlic wormer turned up very little. So you pretty much had to start a new thread to get an answer... although the very fact that garlic for rabbits has not been much discussed is a toip-off that it is not a standard treatment.

I turned to Google then and put in the keywords garlic wormer rabbits and turned up this:
    http://www.galensgarden.co.uk/herbs/garlic.php