Milking?

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by MN Mom, Mar 26, 2006.

1. MN Mom

MN Mom Well-Known Member

Ok call me silly but do I milk my ewe the same way I milk the goat?

Tried the pinch and strip method like on the goat and I get nothing. Baby is eatting though because I can hear her swallowing.

Baby head butts the bag about once a minute.

Not that I want to start milking full time but just wanted to try and milk once.

Jon

2. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

I found it rather difficult at first, but I think part of it is that the ewe just doesn't want to drop that milk down for you. When I first began handmilking, I got a few small squirts, but after a few days I was getting a quart. By the start of the second week she was giving 2 quarts. Just be patient! (And yes, your fingers will find there's a learning curve :D )

3. eieiomom

eieiomom Well-Known Member

Not always an easy task, are you starting all the way at the top ?

You might find with only one baby nursing that there is one side with more milk than the other (from the side she didn't last eat from).
    Try patting her udder gently , as the lambs butt them before latching on.

Does the lamb wag her tail while nursing, does she seem satisfied or move from side to side when drinking ?

4. MN Mom

MN Mom Well-Known Member

"Does the lamb wag her tail while nursing, does she seem satisfied or move from side to side when drinking ?"

It does both actually. It spends maybe 1 minute on a side and goes to other side drink for a minute and then switches again. We can hear it swallowing and it has energy and is active.

I don't think there is a milk stand made that will hold his momma though. she spooks at the sound of a pin drop and she is as strong as a ox.

starting to think I should have held out for a smaller breed of sheep.

5. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

I've milked my ewe while she's on the ground, and it's killer on the back! But if you just want to say you've done it I'd spend a bit of time getting her used to the idea of you being back there and touching her. I honestly only got 1/2 oz from Dolly, if even that much, the first attempt. She thought I was nuts...still does, but gives me more milk these days.