Milking Shorthorn breeders in Southern Oregon?

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Happyfarmwife, Aug 3, 2004.

1. Happyfarmwife

Happyfarmwife Well-Known Member

I am looking to find someone to talk to about purchasing a Milking Shorthorn in my area. We have decided this is the family milk cow breed we would like to have. Anyone with information about this breed please share the information. Thanks so much!

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Milking shorthorn cows were very popular when farmers milked cows. That was when a 40 cow herd of milkers was a huge opperation. In the 50s dairy herds either got bigger or disapered. So did the grain farmers. They raise calves that are true beef cattle. Their appearance is just the same as the beef type shorthorn cattle that are seen yet today. They can be any combination of red or white. The red roans were very common and eye pleasing. They gave plenty of milk for a family cow situation, but couldn't compete with the holstiens which most large dairys use today.

3. spring77

spring77 Well-Known Member

I would go the the Oklahoma State University Animal Science site and look at the cattle breeds section. They usually have a link to the breed society, I think the Milking Shorthorn Society is out of Wisconsin, I once called for a breeder directory, you might have to hunt a long time for a cow of this breed or be willing to travel a long way to get her.

4. bantams

bantams Well-Known Member

Gary McCool at Rosecrest Farms in Chehalis WA (not Oregon as the website states) milks a herd of 150 Milking Shorthorns. His phone number is 360-740-8988.

At the moment I think he has 4 for sale:

$1100 - reg - use to be a 4-Her's - due to calve
    $1000 - grade - fresh one month - bad udder
    $1300 - reg - will calve Sept/Oct - low production
    $1000 - reg - fresh 4 months, not bred - 55-65 lbs milk.

Another option is to go to a local fair and find the Milking Shorthorns. Find the breeders and talk to them, or ask the kids where they got their's from.

5. Happyfarmwife

Thankyou to everyone for their information on Milking Shorthorns. We went to our County fair last week and didn't see any of this breed. I think I will try asking at the local feed stores and 4-H clubs to see if anyone can help. Thanks again everyone.

6. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Run a search on google for milking shorthorn registery or similar phrases until you find the registration agency. They can give you the location of herds in your area.

7. Happyfarmwife

Thanks so much for the direction! I was searching using Milking Shorthorn "breeders", and couldn't find much. I will give this a try!

8. roanbullman

roanbullman New Member

Hi, I'm new to homesteading today board: but may be able to help you find a milking shorthorn. Our family raises Dual Purpose Milking Shorthorn cattle. :yeeha:

Several of our heifers are now family farm cows across the nation.
    Providing fresh milk, raising a great quality calf both beef & milk. As well as fun and enjoyment for the farm family like 4-H and FFA programs.
    Our motto: More MILK + More MEAT = the WEIGH to GROW.

visit our web site: http://www.nilevalleyfarm.4t.com

The American Milking Shorthorn Society web site: http://www.milkingshorthorn.com
    roanbullman of MO