Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at Jeffers Supply, and I found a stainless steel 13 qt pail for only 18.99. My question is, Has anyone ever bought one of these to use for milking? I was not going to use it for milking I was going to use it as a milk tote, so that I do not have to go strain in the house after each doe, I would put a large bucket of ice under it to keep it the milk cold while I finished milking everyone.
Also can a 1 gallon milk strainer fit on top, so that I can strain as I go?

These are the pails I am talking about:
http://www.jefferspet.com/product/stainless-steel-pails-23008.cfm

Thank You
Marisa

·
Registered
230 Posts
I saw something very interesting the other day......buffet soup holders. They were stainless and seamless and would hold about 3/4 to a full gal. If you have a restaurant supply store nearby then you may find them to be cheaper than a "bucket".

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank You! We have decided not to get one due to it not being seamless. I will try that, we have a restaurant supply in town.

Thank You,
~Marisa~

·
Premium Member
4,094 Posts
so how do you keep nasties out of this pail iwthout a lid for it? i will have to take my milk to the house, have one pail but will be milking more does this year so am in search of another (that don't cost a fortune!)

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
42,277 Posts
I made fabric tops for my buckets with a pie shaped cut flap to flip open for the milk stream to pass through into the bucket. It is a simple circle with a radius cut. The circle was marked on the fabric using a dinner plate. That allowed enough overlap for the elastic to keep it on the bucket.

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
I bought my seamless ss bucket at Tractor Supply for about $15 if I remember correctly. They had it in the dog food bowl aisle.

·
Cathy
1,120 Posts
I purchased a ss 5 qt mixing bowl from walmart that rests inside of a stock pot with salt water in it. I use press and seal and cover the mixing bowl, cut a slit in the press and seal and insert my strainer(which also has a p&s cap on it). The whole thing goes into my freezer and comes out when I start milking. As I milk I pour it into the strainer - by the time I am done milking the milk is strained and about 45 degrees.

I place a ribbon or thick strip of saran wrap under the mixing bowl so that I can get it out of the stock pot and I put a small hole into the p&s under the strainer handle to act as a vent.

·
Premium Member
2,133 Posts
We use one of those small stainless steel filters over a gallon glass jar and pour into that as we milk. The jar is then covered and a second used if needed. After milking, the jars are taken to the house where they are uncovered and chilled in ice water.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts