milking new mama

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Moo284, Jun 18, 2005.

1. Moo284

Moo284 Member

Maggie's kids are just about 4 weeks old now and milking is not going well. I have been milking Maggie's mama, Nell, for 2 years now, no problems. I can't seem to get Maggie to let down. I manage to get about 10 squirts out of eat teat, that's it. I've tried simulating the kids poking at her teat, but she's pretty pruny. The kids are having no trouble eating. I tried massaging her udder last night that didn't seem to help much. Any suggestions? Thanks

2. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

Are you feeding her good quality alfalfa hay or alfalfa pellets and grain? She might let down more as time goes by. I know our yearling did. What breed is she? Good milking lines? We are getting lots of milk besides what the kids are drinking. Have to throw it away as we don't use it all.

3. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

Are you separating her from the kids for at least 12 hours before milking? Some does can be pretty stingy with their milk, but when they're full, it's a whole different story! And at that age, kids can easily go 12 hours overnight without feeding.

By the way, try to make sure you milk her out all the way in the morning. That way, the kids learn that there will be no huge breakfast and don't hit her so hard when you let them out with her after milking.

4. Moo284

Moo284 Member

Yes, they all have alfalfa hay available to them and I grain while feeding. She is an alpine, la mancha, neubian cross and her mom is a breeze to milk. I milk at night and she has plenty of milk. We'll just keep trying every night. I tried again this morning with a tiny bit more of success. Thanks for your input.
    Musetta

5. Moo284

Moo284 Member

No, they are not separated, no where to put them and it wasn't an issue with her mom, but they're all different, hmm. I milk at night and grain while milking,working full time doesn't leave enough time in the morning with all the other chores. Maybe she'll begin to share more of her milk with me as time goes on. Thanks for your input.

Musetta

6. Patt

Patt Well-Known Member

If you aren't seperating the kids from her at all you may never get milk. A goat will only produce what it needs to keep up with demand usually. All you need to seperate them over night is a large dog crate. Put them in late in the evening and then early in the morning milk. Once you're milking her and the babies are nursing all day too her production will go up.
    Also some does will hold back their milk if they have kids nursing. I have one goat that happily lets down in the morning and lets me clean her out and one who always holds some back no matter how full she is. If your goat doesn't have much to give anyway she may not let you have any.
    Patt

7. Moo284

Moo284 Member

Thank you, I'll give it a try. I've been out of town for a week and left my poor husband to try, no luck. The kids seem to get pretty happy when we try to milk Maggie and move right in for dinner. She really reduced her production while I was gone. Musetta