Milking machine

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Danny, Apr 27, 2005.

1. Danny

Danny Active Member

I know lots of people don't like milking machines because of the clean up time, but how long and much trouble is it to clean a single cow machine?
    Does anyone use them and would you buy again?
    I have read how fast some people can milk by hand and believe me I will never come close to that.
    Time, convenience, cost, etc any ideas on the matter would help. Thanks

2. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

I've been using a milking machine on 1, and sometimes 2 cows. They are not much trouble to clean, but wall mounted washers are made for the hoses and cups; they run off your milk machine pump. If you have a dairy kitchen (we will in a month or two, and then we won't need the wall mounted rig) you can use your pump to pull soapy water or some sort of anti-bacterial cleaner through your hoses and cups until they are clean.The bucket is no different than any other bucket, just larger.

The machine can pull a cow dry in 5 or 6 minutes, depending on the amount of milk the cow is giving. I think my girls are happier to get into and out of the parlor a bit faster, and my are-thir-I-tiz doesn't mind the machine doing the milking one bit.

3. Danny

Danny Active Member

Haggis
    If you don't mind me asking what brand or where did you get the machine?

Any other good suggestions?

Thanks

4. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

I bought a single bucket model from The Parts Department for about $1300. I've never worked with a better group of folks.

5. mjwood0

mjwood0 Member

If you want an inexpensive route, find a standard bucket milker and use a Shop-Vac for a pump. Sounds crazy, but it works! I've got a friend whose family has done it for years.

Mark

6. Danny

Danny Active Member