milking machine questions?

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Danny, Aug 9, 2004.

1. Danny

Danny Active Member

Before I spend $1250 there are some questions I was wondering about.
    Milking time, about how long does it take to milk a cow? I have a Jersey cow.
    Clean up time and trouble, how much time and trouble is it?
    Any other info would be nice. Thanks

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Most cows can be hand milked in under 10 minutes. It will take longer until you get toughened up on your squeezing muscles. It would take a machine nearly that long by the time you put it on and off, plus washing the udder. It will take much longer to wash up the milking machine than it did to milk the cow. Do yourself a favor and learn to hand milk. You'll save a lot of cash and endless hours of cleaning up the milker.

3. coso

coso Well-Known Member Supporter

For one cow the cleanup on that milking machine is not going to be worth it . Unless you have some major problems with milking by hand(ie crippling arthritis, no fingers). It ain't that hard !!!!!!!!! Give it a try. My three year old can milk a goat.

4. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

Coso, you are starting that young'un off right! :D

You have already gotten some solid advice here but I'll add one thing, and that's the $1250 part. With some luck and ingenuity, you could probably get the price down a bit. For instance, I bought 6 Surge milk buckets (sans rubber) for $5 each and a Surge vacuum pump (sans motor) for $25 at auction on Saturday. Yeah, I'll have to spend a few more bucks on the rubber and motor, but the total cost will be much less than $1250. If you live in farming country, especially dairy country, there are probably some smaller, older set-ups like this floating around out there ... might even be worth placing a 'wanted' ad in the classifieds. ;)

Good luck and enjoy that Jersey! They are wonderful cows. :)

5. Danny

Danny Active Member

Thanks for your advise.
    I have a milk goat I milk 2 quarts from in no time. No problems.
    But with the cow it seems it takes forever. She is giving between 2 and 3 gallons a milking. (I think, haven't gotten it all out yet) But we have milked out 2 gallons at a time.
    The cow stands well while eating but after that she wants to move. Build a stall just her size to hold her but she still moves some. Don't want to over feed and I'm afraid that's what I would be doing by the time I got her milked out.
    Have even tried two people milking and haven't gotten her cleaned out.
    Got to the point I'm open to suggestions. Thanks again

6. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

If you don't have the cow tied, you should. Tie her up close or better yet put her head in a stanchion. And keep milking until she's empty.

7. I raise Registered Jerseys for te use of the milk to raise bottle calves. I currently am still hand milkin 7 cows. A pointer I would suggest is to feed her half her grain while milking the first two quarters and then giving her the other half before you milk the last two quarters. Most of my Jerseys average 4 1/2 gallons/ milking, and it takes me about 8 minutes/ cow. I will also agree with 100% with the stancion. Good luck and I hope this helps.

8. wyomama

wyomama Member

What I have done is feed the amount of grain that I want to feed with as much hay cubes as it takes to finish the job. I don't soak the hay cubes - they are at least 1" wide, and 2" to 4" long. It takes quite a bit of chewing to get them down, where the grain they can just lick up 1/2 pound at a time and swallow.

For awhile I was able to get some good feed that was in a 3/8" diameter pellet, that was nice, as it required chewing, too.

A stanchion or a head catch is a must, in my opinion.