Milking hair sheep, anyone tried it?

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by teddybear, Jun 7, 2004.

1. teddybear

teddybear Member

Have any of you hair sheep owners tried milking your sheep? I have read that some of the hair sheep breeds may have high enough yields to make that feasible. Is anyone working on developing a hair sheep dairy breed? Thanks for satisfying my curiosity.

2. I don't milk mine but, have also heard the same thing. I do have lots of ewes raising triplets just fine - so I would think they should milk good.....

3. teddybear

teddybear Member

What breed or breeds do you have?

4. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Ha well only once when I had to bottle feed a lamb who's mother died. Man, those teats are little (Katahdin) and I had nasty cramps before I'd fill a bottle up!

I sure think you'd need a machine to do it.

5. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Small teats are a problem even for a machine but hair breeds would have a small advantage over wool breeds, in that the lack of lanolin would make udder washing much easier. Lanolin is a problem as it will taint the milk.

6. You could probably select your ewes for teat size if you really wanted to milk them. I have lines that have bigger teats than others - I find bigger teats to be more of a problem for a newborn lamb, but then in the event you do have to milk some for a bottle it is a lot nicer.....