Milking Goats

Discussion in 'Goats' started by farmgirlmama, May 19, 2006.

1. farmgirlmama

farmgirlmama Well-Known Member

Is it possible to milk a goat only one time per day? I figure that the supply would meet the demand like when I nurse my babies! :p

Thanks!

2. Lizza

Lizza Well-Known Member Supporter

My daughter only milks her goat one time a day. She puts the babies up at night and milks first thing in the morning. She get's about a 1/2 gallon plus about 1 quart a day. She will probably wean soon and then start milking twice a day. Haven't figured out the weaning yet though, we only have one area for them all to be, will probably try the tape.

3. TennesseeMama23

TennesseeMama23 Well-Known Member

Go to www.fiascofarm.com and check out how they do it. That is how I do it. I have no desire to milk 2x a day. Happy milking!!

4. farmgirlmama

farmgirlmama Well-Known Member

YAAAAAA!! This makes me soo happy...also 1/2 gallon is just the right amount for our family's needs at this time....now I can get a goat....Thanks for the fiascofarm site..I forgot the name and it is a great source of information.
    Jennifer :baby04:

5. nduetime

nduetime I am a Christian American Supporter

This is exactly what I have been doing also. I let the Momma's and babe together all day and the last thing I do before bed is seperate them. You should see how quickly the babes figure out that Momma is leaving for the night and try to get one last suckle! I milk first thing in the morning and have been getting 1/2 gallon plus 1 quart also. Sometimes it is a little less than the one extra quart but not by much. When the babes are weaned and I am in no hurry for that, I guess I will have to milk twice a day again unless someone else has another thought that would work....

6. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

I go to once a day milkings when I get tired of twice a day and the doe still does not dry up. You are right, supply and demand. just make sure she has enough calcium in her diet in the form of good alfalfa hay or free-choice alfalfa pellets.

nduetime, you can go to once a day milking at any time, but it will reduce your actually amount of milk you get each day. I milk twice a day during the first months of lactation especially because that is when the doe is putting out the most milk, lactation actually peaks at two months then gradually tapers off. I milk twice a day til i just don't want to anymore. my does don't dry up til i actually completely quit milking altogether, they go from early spring til late summer or fall, they would keep going if I wasn't tuckered out.