milking goat wanted

Discussion in 'Goats' started by jenross, Mar 12, 2005.

1. jenross

jenross Member

I am in northern Indiana close to LaGrange. I was wondering if anyone know of anyone that may have a goat for sale. We don't want to spend a fortune on one. If anyone can help it would be great.

2. chma4

chma4 Wolverton Family Farm Supporter

are you looking for an adult, or kid, pure breed or mixed?

3. allenslabs

allenslabs Saanen & Boer Breeder

MIght check with your local amish. I'm close to bedford and we just got a Saanen nanny w/ her buck and purchased 2 other alpine does for a total of $150. I'm happy. She lets me milk her now which is nice! HAHA! Still I'd check around. I was thinking that northern IN had a lot of amish area. We do down here. Love it! Usually good people to work with.

4. jenross

jenross Member

It Don't Have To Be Anything Reg. I Would Just Like To Find One To Milk.so Problably Not A Kid But A Kid Could Work To It You Just Take Longer To Get Milk. We Have Amish Around Here I'll Have To Check With Them To. Thanks For Your Info.

5. Helena

Helena Well-Known Member

I won't recommend the up coming Easter sales at the auction to buy a goat because you don't know the history on it but...it would be interesting for you to go and check out the different animals. I would go with the others and buy from someone that you can ask questions. Good Luck !!

6. windyhollowfarm

windyhollowfarm Well-Known Member

I am located in Michigan, and will have milkers for sale this summer. Also, I have does who will be dry for sale. Plus, I am accepting kid reservations. I raise Nubians and Saanens. They are registered, but I do have some Grades.

7. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

i agree with the first poster, first place to look is the feed stores, make up an advert and hang it there, plus talk to the clerks, most of them know the local farmers, and will know who has them ,
    then check the radio dial , most rural areas have a "tradeo" or on air free classifieds type program ,
    then call the local HS, ask if they have 4H or FFA, and talk to the leader
    any one of these should net you the goat youre looking for :D
    i too do a lot of bartering with the Mennonite community in our area, at least i know when i work with them they wont work me over.