Milking - First timer - Me AND the goat

Discussion in 'Goats' started by valsey, May 31, 2006.

1. valsey

valsey *

Any tricks to milking a first time freshener? I've been feeding her on the milk stand and getting her used to me touching her udder. Plan to separate her from the kids at night, milk in the morning and let the kids nurse during the day. (Is this ok for the 2 month old kids?) My question is - how in the world do you get your hand around those little teets? I think it will take hours!

Any ideas?

Thanks

2. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Yes, separating the kids away from mom at night is good. That way they will not keep her up at night nursing and she will be able to rest. her udder will fill and she will be happy for you to empty it in the morning. It is common for first fresbeners to have small teats. Some lines of dairy goats have small tests anyway, making them difficult to milk. practice makes perfect and your hands will stregthen. Milking a good with large teats is hard on hand muscles at first too if you are not used to it. The goats natural let down reflex is only about 10-12 minutes long, when she will squat a bit over the bucket and voluntarily let the milk flow (a hormonal thing), watch when the kids nurse, how she stands. You want that reaction when you milk. it makes it easier to get the milk, otherwise, it is tough. You must milk her out as fast as possible when this is occuring. Stay with it and it will get easier over time. next year should be better. When selecting a buck, find one whose mother had large teats and perhaps his daughters will inherit that trait.

3. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Tiny teets :nono:

use your thumb and side of index finger...bump udder a few times with attitude pinch teet(so no back flow) where it meets udder and milk down by rolling middle finger beside index..you'll probably get sore thumbs....milk for about 10min then let the babies finish milking...inside of a week you'll be emptying her udder in 10 min....

Bigger teets on "used" milkers are much easier :p

Goodluck and be persistent!

4. valsey

valsey *

Thanks Diane. This gal is 3/4 Tog, 1/4 Nubian - I think the small teats are becasue it's her first time and she was breed pretty young (not my fault - breeder's fault).

So do I just try to milk and wait until the 'magic moment' of let down and then keep going?

5. valsey

valsey *

Hmmm - so I:
    1) bump udder a few times with attitude
    2) pinch teet (so no back flow) where it meets udder
    3) milk down by rolling middle finger beside index

Then I assume release my thumb and index finger to fill teet and repeat - yes?

I can't imagine getting much milk from that little teat and my 2 lone fingers

Thanks for your advice!

6. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes! (I too have a toggy cross (alpine) that is tiny and tough teated)

Watch the babies when they nurse...they really nail moms udder...and you need to mock this....

If you want better teets in your line...I suggest going more nubian....hers will grow but my first freshener Nubian has 3inch pliable teets and milks quite easily...her mom had teets like a jersey cow :p and milked easy too.

7. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Yes, you will feel her let down her milk and you just keep going. You and the goat will start being "in tune" with each other as she becomes more comfortable with the whole process. older goats let down very automatically, usually when you wash the udder, you can feel the milk swell up in the teats as the reflex begins. Sometimes, just jumping on the stand and the buckets rattling and you sitting down next to the goat will trigger it. it is just whatever the routine is. Routine is very important to the goat, so pick a routine and don't change it, they thrive on it.

Think of the teat as a water baloon and you are trying to capture the fluid at the top of the teat and squeeze it out downward without pushing it back up. Then repeat the process. after you do it right a few times, your hand will get used to it and you will build "instinctive muscles" LOL Let the "baloon" refill for brief spell and recapture the fluid at the top of the teat and push out the bottom. Don't pull downward on the teat, but rather push slightly upwards as you are doing this.

8. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

My LaManchas have nice big teats too. I don't know how my little first fresheners will be though that are due in several weeks. I have seen Nubians with nice big teats and Nubians with tiny teats, so I think it depends on the line, I imagine this is true of all breeds.

9. valsey

valsey *

Regimen and routine is not my strong suit, but it seems really important with goats. I've been bad about it at feeding time and you would think that they haven't been fed in years the way they act - I can only guess it's because there is no routine. I need to work on that. (Isn't NO routine A routine?)

Guess it's time to order a basic milking kit and separate mom and kids! a-boy...

Thanks everyone for your input.

10. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

If it makes you feel any better, most goats ALWAYS act like they are starving!.......even big 'ol fat tubby ones!