milking equipment question

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Christina R., May 28, 2004.

1. Christina R.

Christina R. Well-Known Member

My Holstein heifer will calf for the first time in Aug. This gal is our family cow. What size stainless steel bucket should I get. My husband said two 2 gallon pails might be more useful than one 3 or 4 gallon pail. Neither of us has previous experience with this, so we need your opinion. Also it is easy to find 1 gallon pasteurizers on ebay, but I have been shying away from purchasing anything other than a 2 gallon for time efficiency. Is this silly thinking? Thanks for your input.

2. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

Christina, how much milk will you consume? I doubt more than you can pasturize with a 1 gallon unit. Milk used for livestock feed doesn't need to be pasturized.

3. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

If your heifer is average or below, she will give at least three gallon at each milking (twice daily) Have you considered what you are going to do with that much milk?
    You could raise two or three calves on the milk you probably won't need for family use. I'd get a three gallon bucket. Don't want to spill any more than that if she steps in it.

4. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

I find it's easier to milk into a 5 or 6 quart pail, that way (as Uncle Will said) if the cow steps in or overturns the bucket, there's not as much waste. You can take a larger bucket out with you to dump the milk into as the smaller bucket fills up. (Use a bucket with a lid or place a towel over the top to keep suicidal flies from drowning themselves in the milk! :haha: )

Also, your pails don't need to be stainless steel, ordinary plastic will do. Make it a habit to wash all your equipment immediately after using, so milk fat doesn't build up on it.

Good luck and have fun with your cow! :)