Milking Dexter's

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Ken in Minn, Sep 10, 2004.

1. Ken in Minn

Ken in Minn Well-Known Member

Hi All
    Is there a market out there for Dexter's that have been milked for 1 yr? I may have two later on. Seems as though I have two many for the pasture I have, so have to cut back. Thanks

Ken in Minn

2. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

Ken, 3 questions. Are they bred back? Where are you? How much (or what you want to trade)?

3. Mel-

Mel- Well-Known Member

I was looking at dexters earlier in the summer and contacted several people listed on the dexter site in indiana and surrounding states.

I flat out could not find a single dexter cow that had ever been milked. Every single person I contacted just kept their dexters for pets!

bred cows were running around 850-1250.

mel-

4. Ken in Minn

Hello Mel
    Were you looking to buy a milking Dexter? Or just looking for Dexter's?
    I have to many for my pastures. So later on I will have to sell some.

Ken in Minn

5. Patt

Patt Well-Known Member

You have an amazingly rare animal, a Dexter that's actually been broke to milk! :)
    How much milk are you getting a day from her?
    Patt

6. genebo

genebo Well-Known Member Supporter

I own two Dexters that were milked by the previous owner. One is purebred and the other is 1/2 Dexter. I don't milk them because of time constraints. I have a fairly new farm still under construction, and there is already more than I can do.

Maybe I'll milk them next year. They certainly are gentle enough. Both will stand for milking right in the middle of the field.

The 1/2 Dexter just calved. She threw the tiniest little heifer calf, chocolate brown with a white face, that looks like a little stuffed toy. The mama's udder is very big, as big as some dairy cows I've seen. She looks like a 4 gallon milker.

You can see the little calf in my photo gallery on the Dakodan site.

Genebo
    Paradise Farm

7. Mel-

Mel- Well-Known Member

ken,

I was doing research in trying to decide whether to buy them or goats down the road. still don't know which is best but about decided I can't afford a dexter !

mel-

8. jim/se kansas

jim/se kansas Well-Known Member

I have a Dexter that I milk and raise calves on. She gives about 2 gal. a day. I also have 2 more tht are dry now. Should calve 1st of Oct. I have milked one of them and the other is a heifer. I bought them in the spring and have raised 6 calves. I will go to the sale in 2 weeks and get 2 more calves and put on the cow I am milking. When I need milk I feed milk replacer. Dexter's is my choice for the family milk cow. Hope this helps. Jim

9. Patt

Patt Well-Known Member

We get a half a gallon a day of milk from our Dexter, that we had to break ourselves from a field cow. So if anyone is interested in them as a family milk cow they need to get one that has been milked and with a record of how much they produce. We're really disappointed with Dexters to be honest but I'm sure the ones mentioned above are great cows. It just seems to be very much a buyer beware market. There's a whole lot of marketing hype about Dexters and not many who live up to it. :(
    I would be interesting in buying one that had a good record of milk production if the price was reasonable.
    Patt

10. jim/se kansas

jim/se kansas Well-Known Member

Hi Patt, when I was looking for a milk cow I tought I was going to buy a Miniture Jersey. Then this little black cow came up and stood by me in feild. I reached down and stripped her. I asked the owner what kind of cow she was and he told me she was a Dexter. When we got home I did a google serch and found out alot about Dexter cows. I called back and said that I would take her and two more that he had. I have only good things to say about Dexters. I have had a family milk cow for the last thirty six years. There has only be a few years that we did not. We have had Jerseys, Holsteins, and Gurnseys. Dexters are as good as any other cow.You have to look and hand pick what you want. No Hype here.
    Blessings, Jim

11. djuhnke

djuhnke Well-Known Member

I'd be interested in your dexters Ken for Spring 2005. I'm planning on getting either a heifer or heifer with baby (depending on price). I haven't found to many Dexter breeders here in the midwest. Esp with Milking experience.

Dan

12. scaryguyoy

scaryguyoy Well-Known Member

I plan to have some Dexter calves for sale next spring at weaning time.I am in Indiana.I have 3 bred cows and will sell depending on sex type.Meaning I will sell heifers ,but not steers.
    Email Me At res1iso1@verizon.net
    Frank

13. dizp

dizp New Member

Ken,
    I would be interested in buying you dexters. Could you email me the info on them? Price, size, age, fresh?
    thanks
    liz
    email: dizp@yahoo.com

14. Ken in Minn

Hi all
    The problem I had with to many Dexter's for my pasture has been solved. A very fine young man with a family of eight Kids, has four of my Dexter cows. Two of them has calves and he is milking them for his family. The other two will freshin soon and he will start milking them as well. I did not know there was that amount of interest in Homestead cows, guess I was wrong. I hope to have more for sale later on. When I do I will post on this board. Thanks for all the inquires

Ken in Minn

15. Bill P

Bill P Guest

What can you say about the quality of Dexter milk? So far, my preference is Jersey, the more cream the better.

16. Patt

Patt Well-Known Member

It's avaerage definately not Jersey level. There's a thread here where we compared cream to milk try searching for cream. :)
    Patt