Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be getting three Dexters soon. Two older cows and one heifer. The older cows have calves on them now. I will not get the calves. They have been hand milked and I need to know how much feed will I need to give them at milking time ?
The farmer that I will be getting them from is not milking them at this time. Thanks for the information. Jim

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yer in SE Kansas...

where are you getting your Dexters from?
how much average are you paying?

I am in NE Kansas and have been looking for a bit now with little success aside from the high priced breeders listed at the ORG site.

NE Ideas for me?

thanks

·
Registered
704 Posts
Hi Jim,
this may depend on a number of factors, I'm guessing you mean grain? I'll tell you what I do, as I don't know all your details. I'm sharing my milking with the calf, so I just take some and the calf gets the rest. I'm getting a quart from one quarter and I can get that day and evening, so for the sake of math I'm just gonna say that each teat is giving me the same so I'm getting a gallon a.m and p.m. Now, I feed about a half bale of hay split morning and evening and after that I give 3 of the small coffe cans of 16% Dairy ration again morning and evening. My Dexter is a Long Leg and quite tall. Not sure if this helps any, hope so. You should also go to http://dakodan.net/dexters/ there is a big discussion on hand milking as well as many other Dexter topics there. Also, do ask the people you are getting them from, what they are eating and also how much, if you can, buy a bale of hay from them to mix with your hay, then there wont be such a change for them.

Carol

·
Registered
33 Posts
hi guys i ,m from around wichita but have relation in seneca in NE kansas and pittsburg in SE kansas you guys any where near those thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts