Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be milking my friend's goats while she is away. I went for training. Notice how the goat is helping me by keeping the bucket securely in place while I milk :)

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
Notice how the goat is helping me by keeping the bucket securely in place while I milk :)
Yes they can be quite helpful can't they ;-)

·
An Ozark Engineer
13,441 Posts
Oh, way too funny! Love your sense of humor about the situation. Yep, one-handed milking would apply here ;-)

NeHi

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So my friend calls and asks if I can milk her goats. Sure.....I mean what's so hard about milking a couple goats...right??? Well....there's the iodine dip, the herbal wipes, the weighing, recording, spraying the nipples processing the milk.....I had to take notes.....seriously...and then after signing up for this rodeo I find out there are also 2 dogs, 2 donkeys, 2 horses, one pony along with 5 goats. All need fed and watered twice a day and the pony is diabetic. Actually, I don't mind and happy to help. There are just no "goat people" but us pretty much around here and I know how hard it is to get away for a few days. I was just a bit overwhelmed with what was involved in milking but it sure was fun and loving animals it will be an adventure. The LaManchas are so sweet...much sweeter than my goats and I'm thinking maybe I need a dairy goat next year.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
hehehehehehehe
I also notice the milk running down THE OUTSIDE of the bucket. hehehehehe

Thanks for the post!!!
Paul

·
www.HarperHillFarm.com
3,089 Posts
Hats off to you for helping your friend!

If the goat is kicking, it sometimes easier to hold her leg UP instead of DOWN. It throws her off balance a little and less likely to fidget. You'll still need to milk with 1 hand, but this might help.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know it's hard to find help. Last year we had two of my husband's drywallers come and stay at the house. I made a list of chores which included shoveling the "playground" equipment and shoveling paths to the feeder. We had over 600 inches of snow. I was half way joking about the playground. Well, one morning Jerry wakes up to new snow and tells Scott, "grab your shovel". Scott asks why and Jerry tells him we need to shovel the playground. Scott said, "you have to be kidding, why?" Jerry told him it was on the list and, "if one of those little f'er's slips, falls and breaks a leg we will never hear the end of it." I had really crazy stuff on the list and they did it all!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts