Milking a dexter

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Gideon's War, Jun 14, 2006.

1. Gideon's War

Gideon's War Well-Known Member

I'll be getting a dexter soon (already bred). I was planning on going the grass-fed route (I have alot of pasture to support her). The question I have is once she has her calf and is in milk, will I need to supplement with grain? I plan on sharing the milk with the calf but wasn't sure if jsut the pasture will support her.

Also, when people say dairy grains, what mix are they talking about? I've raised pigs and chicken and am new to cows. If I mix my own grains, what ration should I be doing? Thanks!

2. linn

linn Well-Known Member Supporter

3. Patt

Patt Well-Known Member

We milk our Dexter. She gets a bucket of feed while we're milking to keep her happy and she gets whatever she can eat while we're milking. She also gets a large coffee can full every night when we pen up the calf. We get a gallon every morning. We buy dairy ration, I don't know what's in it though. We have some dairy farmers here who may know. :)

4. Gideon's War

Gideon's War Well-Known Member

Thats been the hardest thing is getting a "recipie" for the dairy ration. I'd rather not buy bagged feed if I can just mix it myself.

5. JulieLou42

JulieLou42 Well-Known Member

Always consider whether it's time or dollars you want to spend.

Dairy ration I use and cow will do anything to get it is called simply "COB" for corn, oats and barley...with MOLASSES. It costs less than $8 per 50lbs in our feed stores here.

She's gets two no. 10 cans per day, along with the same amount of alfalfa pellets...less waste than buying her alfalfa hay bales.

She's on 99% orchard grass for the rest of her food.

6. Carol K

Carol K Well-Known Member

Hi and congrats on getting into Dexters,
    if you are going the grass route, why don't you wait and see what she's giving you before you give her any grain? Maybe by then you will have found a recipe that you can mix yourself if you really need it. That way you will know what she is giving you on grass and hay alone before you decide on the grain.
    Make sure she is getting a good mineral and her salt and enjoy her,

Carol