Milking a Boer Nanny

Discussion in 'Goats' started by YuccaFlatsRanch, Oct 21, 2004.

1. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

Can a Boer nanny be milked after she has freshened?? Is the milk any good to drink or make cheese from??

2. MoBarger

MoBarger Goat's Milk soap for sale

I tried to milk boer does. After 20 minutes I had 2T in the bucket and an annoyed doe.
    So I tried a boer/nubian cross. After 20 minutes I had 3T in the bucket and 2 annoyed does. And tired hands.
    So I tried a nubian and a saanen and I had lots of milk and happy goats.

Long story short -- stick to milking dairy girls. :haha: Though you may get lucky.

3. LuckyGRanch

LuckyGRanch Well-Known Member

I've heard of folks who do milk a Boer but, don't expect to get much. In my mind, it's not worth the time and energy/aggravation. It's kind of like trying to milk an Angus! :haha:

I've got around 30 Boer Nanny's...I keep a few dairy does for - milk! :D My Boers are origninally from a very large herd and they're standoffish, crabby girls. I wouldn't dream of getting under one of them and most don't have an udder worthy of milking anyway.

4. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

When I first got into boers, I wanted a tame core herd, then allowed the tame does, to raise their kids which where all then sold (replacements, 4H market animals, lastly meat). Plus back then the 4H kids wanted 3/4 does to show, the most money. So I bred my Nubian first fresheners to a Boer male I leased, raised these 50/50's on the lambar with the dairy kids, then bred them Boer for the 75% kids for sale. We had good milkers that first cross, no extra teats, they ate alot more to milk as much as their moms, but the milk was high in butterfat. What the boer blood did to them was to make them loose their will to milk, much past 5 months and I was wasting my time. The long level lactation their dam had, was a steep slope for them.

But you can milk anything, once the doe becomes much more than 50% boer you have the nasty extra teat thing going on, and also she rarely will have more milk than what her kids consume. Then if she has been programed to dry when her kids are weaned, you have no milk then anyway :) Vicki

5. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

Was jsut wondering because a friend is donating a really friendly Boer Nanny to the farm. She is 3-4 and has never been bred. Was a bottle baby. Here EVERYONE CONTRIBUTES so she will be going to work at something.

6. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Yes, the goat will contribute. If she is healthy I would take her. I would use her offspring as meat or sell the kids as meat. you could start a small meat herd by keeping her doelings. I inherited a poorly uddered Nubian and her half Boer doeling from a frined so i booght a Reg. Fullblood Boer buckling. I also have my tiny LaMancha herd and buck. Put that doe to work as a meat maker. My Boers pack on weight with much less food than the dairy goats. The Boers are always fat on way less food. Have fun experimenting. If she has never been bred let's hope she'll "take". Give it a try and see what happens.