Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello keepers of Nigerian dwarf goats, from your experience, how much milk does a goat produce per milking cycle? If you can't estimate that, how much do they produce per day on average. It will be nice if you also tell me what and how much you feed them because these can influence milk production. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
4-600 lbs+ as yearling milkers and 6-850+ lbs as second or more fresheners over a lactation, numbers for a 305 day or less lactation in my herd. Sometimes, I have not milked an entire 305 days, hence the "or less". Some does will continue milking well beyond 305 days, that is just the standard number used to compare. Butterfat is about 6-8%

My Nigerians get pasture in summer, alfalfa hay and leaves in winter, alfalfa pellets, all they can eat while I'm milking everyone, sometimes a small sprinkle of grain (handful or less), free choice onyx loose minerals, copper bolus every 5 months, bo-se pre-breeding and pre-kidding, deworming at those times as well.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My ND is a first freshener, she was producing just shy of 2 cups twice a day when I bought her in August, but since fall I've dropped her down to once a day and she's still giving about 2 cups. She gets Chaffhaye and baled Alfalfa with my other 2 and grain on the stand. They also get treats like sunflower seeds, oats, veggies and fruit in moderation. I think you also have to consider milking lines when projecting quantities.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts